first model - Medieval Corridor

Hello guys, its my first post here, and i’d like to ask your opinions about my first work with blender (and 3d models in general). I hope you like it, but if you don’t, give me some suggestions, if you’d like :slight_smile:

it’s pretty good for a first work. There are a few things. One is the texture appears stretched a little. The doorway seems more on the right. I think the camera angle could be adjusted a little. Add a little bevel on the arches to make them look more natural. I really like the bricks jutting out of the wall. I like the torch holders, though they seem small for that ones shadow? And I like the colors of gray-white with the stark bright red carpet.

Looks like a decent beginning, though I’d focus on the materials and lighting a little more: currently this reads very flat, with any depth coming from the mesh itself, which makes it almost look like detailed papercraft, rather than stone, or iron or wood or carpet. Which a style like that can be done effectively, but it’s definitely a choice that should be done with deliberate intent.

Adding some bump mapping, either through image textures, or procedurally generated textures both gives the object some feeling of surface depth, as well as giving the object a way to more interestingly interact with light. If you’re using blender internal render (which it looks like you are, but since your objects are mostly diffuse, I can’t tell for sure), I’d recommend using cycles render: it’s more physically correct, which makes it easier to create materials which look correct, and it is far more common to find shader tutorials for cycles than blender internal. there may be a learning curve to understanding cycles initially, but, at least in my experience, it’s pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it.

As for lighting, it looks like your main sources of lighting are lamps placed in the center of the torches, but as you can tell, the lamps don’t have any visual representation, which makes them look unreal. While this is more advanced, there are several tutorials on making fire in blender, that could both diminish the falseness feeling of the lighting, as well as add some color to the lights in your scene (though, take care with it, as color, whether it’s in shaders or lighting, is difficult to get right without either seriously studying color theory, or just learning it instinctively over many, many hours of trying and failing until it gets right)

As far as a first project goes it’s pretty good, though I’d take a look at some shader tutorials, to get a feel for materials and the like.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. The textures will be changed i forgot to mention that (although the style will remain the same, I will try to apply a texture with a higher resolution). I think the doorway seems more on the right because of the camera angle, but i may be wrong. Good idea about the arches. The thing with the torches is, that the light source is in front of the torches, because if i place them inside the shadows just go crazy…
Anyway i will apply your suggestions on the model, and im open to more by anyone, and ill post an update as soon as i can.

Thank you for your reply, i find it very useful, i will post an update once i have done significant progress

I may replace the old walls with someting like this. I just made this Im not sure how good this is because of the very high number of polygons, and i dont know how good does this look