Cloth simulation

Hey guys, I just ran into some issues ofmaking this jacket to hang from the collar… I removed all the modifiers and ran the cloth sim. no luck. if anyone can look into this, it would be great.

Thanks.

Heres the blend file. Feel free to use it if its any good XD

jacket1.blend (866 KB)

This is what happens when I try :frowning:

I see 0 in the repel settings for self-collison in the image. It may not need a high value, but it needs some value for that setting to actually work. Some of the settings are high, unless you have a lot of computer to throw at it - quality could be dumbed down a bit. (Problem is some things in terms of simulation can only be attempted with better hardware, just the nature of the beast.)

Also it wouldn’t hurt to hook it in place with a few more pinned vertices. A single point vertice is effectively like having something resting on a spike, as it’s not going to distribute tension much.

• Don’t do Cloth Sims on GEO that has thickness (Delete the Solidify Modifier, and drop it back on later)
  • You don’t have enough GEO on that jacket. Also the polys should be square and not stretched when doing Cloth Sims (Case with the sleeves on your jacket)
  • Your Subsurf Modifier is Below the Cloth Modifier! This means you don’t get to use all that GEO in the Cloth Sim, you’re doing the Sim on the low poly! Move it above the Cloth Modifier!
  • Model the jacket in a pose as it was on a person, not flat as it’s lying on the ground. Let the Cloth Sim do all that work for you. Usually that gives better results.

Tip:
Don’t Bake while you’re still setting up everything and testing. Just playback the animation in the timeline and it will bake in the viewport. This way you see the progress and can cancel if you don’t like what you see. It’s also interactive!

Here’s your file with some of these quickly tweaked. Just play it in the viewport

Here’s 2 quick examples of some cloth sims I had done:

http://edge-loop.com/images/blender/dyntopoJam%202014%2012%2024_04_Timelapse.gif

They look so Beautiful! thanks so much for your time!

Could you please explain how you merged that neck on the first one? its magic for me XD

anyway, this got me wondering, is there any plugin that reduces the stretch on the polygon? I know there’s plugins to reduces the stretch in UV, but this would be interesting :smiley:

Just used the Boolean Modifier. Since the head was a Dyntopo sculpt and the neck a cylinder poly model - the seam is a mess between a HiPoly and LoPoly objects. But this is no problem in Dyntopo Sculpting, just use the SubdivideCollapse Mode in Dyntopo and you can easily iron out those transitions.

There’s things you can try.

• drop a SubsurfModifier, then Decimate
  • go to SculptMode enable Dyntopo > Subdivide Collapse > Constant Detail > Detail Flood Fill

Both these cases will give you a triangulated mesh. Cloth Sims should be able to work well with a triangulated mesh, it all depends what you’ll do afterwards.
But at the end of the day, why not just learn how to do things properly, it’s a skill that will not be redundant any time soon. If it’s a production piece it will need proper GEO.

Superb! Thanks a lot!