Blender, gimp, or inkscape?

I want a grapic design software for digital painting realistic people, landscapes, etc. I’ve come across these three in my search, which one is the best? I dont really have much money to spend of a good software like illustrator or photoshop and since these three are free i figured i’d go with the best of them. Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

All three are free so you could try all of them to see which fits your needs best. However each is used for different things.

3d modelling - blender
Vector graphics - Inkscape
Image manipulation - GIMP

1 Like

If your interest is in digital painting, I’d suggest that you have a look at Krita or MyPaint… probably more the former than the latter.

Now that’s uncalled for. Mypaint is a great little program, and much as Krita may have a lot more features, MyPaint is just more pleasant to paint with. Also, Krita has nothing on Mypaint’s best damn color picker I’ve ever used.

What’s especially great about MyPaint is it’s minimalistic UI and lack of cruft. Krita is rather heavy to install/build/run and might even look a bit intimidating at first.

Another interesting software for painting is Verve (http://www.taron.de/forum/).

I’m not disputing that. MyPaint is actually my first choice when doing digital painting (especially for quick concept work). However, if I’m making a suggestion to someone else whose primary platform isn’t Linux or if they expect a more Photoshop-like experience, then Krita is what I’d pitch.

It’s a weird spambot. The question has been asked before in a different form and in this exact form over 4 years ago elsewhere.