Newbie: is it possible to make a 3d model from a topographical map?

Hello to all!

First things first! I had tried blender in the past and followed some tutorials. although I never got very far, I learned the concept o the b/w height maps and terrain creation from them.

Now, when I was little I fell in love with an old video game known as Midwinter, one of the first 1st person video games. You were supposed to roam around a fictional island complete with mountains, hills and valleys in primitive 3d polygons. The most realistic rendering of the game world is a zoomable topographical/geophysical/relief in-game map.

http://www.trollunteer.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/59006-midwinter-dos-screenshot-your-map.gif

As a tribute to my childhood obsession I decided to use this map and make a 3d model of the Midwinter island, or at least die trying. For now I took screenshots of the map interface and made a collage from those screenshots, forming a big map.

My biggest problem is that I don’t know whether Blender can read the coloring of a geo map or whether there is a software that can convert a topo map to a heightmap. Geo maps seem to use a color range of blue-green-yellow-orange-dark brown, I am not aware of any easy way that would interpret dark brown (mountain peaks) as white and blue (sea level) as black.

So what would you when you ahd to make a 3d landscape with only a geo map as a source?

Secondary question: the game also provides a “relief” option, which shows a b/w image of the island with a very rough surface. It doesn’t seem to indicate elevation, like the geo map, but rather the relative roughness of the terrain in each elevation. As I am not a topographer I am not sure what to make of this data, or how I could use it in a 3d software. Perhaps as a bump map. I will try and provide screenshots asap.

I have only read that Blender can open OpenstreetMap data, a part from that i m not really sure. My suggestion will be sculpt, so just sculpt it. You can just Grab on Z-axis that black spot( peak) may be watch some tutorial about landscape in Blender.
You can even do it in edit mode with proportional editing tool.

Split your map by colors - 8 should be enough. Use Inkscape to trace each color. You’ll get some 7 contours - curves corresponding to some height - isophotes. Import curves as svg into Blender, position and adjust each curve’s height. Skin either by using Bridge (after convert curves to mesh), Bsurfaces addon (works on joined curves), or, roughly manually - extrude, connect. Can use resulting mesh for further sculpting or shrinkwrap subdivided a lot plane on top.
Could be there is some geographical software out ready to convert such color map into greyscale height map. Then you would be able to use greyscale for displacement map and Use Displacement modifier in Blender. One example is here, not sure if map like yours can be used though.