Combine Sculpt mode with vertex paint?

I don’t know if this has been suggested, but it would be cool to if we could sculpt and paint at the same time like in other sculpting applications. Knock two birds with one stone, instead of having to sculpt then vertex paint.

Is it possible ? Yay or Nay?

Sculpt mode = sculpt
Texture paint mode = paint

Is it possible ? Yay or Nay?
If someone codes a sculpt+paint mode then yes it would be possible but that does not exist currently

I think the problem would be UV unwrapping currently (since the mesh changes), maybe something for 2.8? with ptex support.
But paiting over sculpts might not be that ideal, they (often) dont have a good mesh.
Its why people retopo.

@Razorblade:
I think the suggestion was relating to vertex paint, which doesn’t need a UV unwrap (though for decent results, it does need a reasonable amount of vertices). Currently, you are correct that painting over sculpts in Blender is not ideal, but have a browse of zBrush sculpting/painting demos on YouTube to see why the feature is considered a good thing. Sculpt + Paint prior to having a “good mesh” is a common and incredibly useful workflow (as the textures can be baked onto a “good mesh” with UV’s later).

Do people actually sculpt and paint at the same time in Zbrush? I’m aware you can do both at the same time, but it seems all the videos I’ve watched people in real world situations tend to do one or the other and not both.

Either way, I would like to see vertex paint get more attention. At least get it up to par with other areas: Subsurf/Multires support, Texture Mask, things of that nature.

Sculpting large forms, not so much (if at all). Sculpting details (such as wrinkles, pores, scales, scratches, rust, etc) with colour - I’ve seen a bit of that around.

In any case, waiting until after retopo for painting is not a big priority for most ZBRush users I’ve seen that sculpt & paint in the program.

+1 :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I’ve used it a lot when painting things like red blood veins, other ppl use it too, often in mudbox or zbrush. Plus all the features that you’re asking for would be knocked off if we just combine vertex paint mode with sculpt mode. You could lower the strength to not change the geometry and just paint with mask tool on. This new feature would save more time; it’s the missing puzzle to make blender almost on par with zbrush.

Ah, I can see why it’d be useful for veins and other details. I think that is a strong enough usecase to merge the two modes. Of course finding a dev to do it is always the hard part.

Not the same code, but there’s some kind of vertex-painting possible in sculpt mode : the Mask brush paint vertices/faces already.

It’s not possible to change the color of that brush but performance with high poly objects like sculpts is interestingly noticably much better than the actual vertex paint mode, and you can benefit from the x/y/z symmetry, that is not possible on the actual vertex paint mode.

You could uv unwrap a clean mesh beforehand and then create your color and bump maps at the same time, not ideal of coarse if you’re just starting off the cuff with a dirty mesh.

Can you screenshot what you mean? Cause I haven’t found anything remotely to being able to paint sculpt at the same time.

Upgraded poll, please vote maybe we can get a developers attention.

This Mask brush in sculpt mode :
http://i.imgur.com/TN1g2C3.jpg

1 Like

I second (or third?) that. I’d love to just be able to use vertex paint for something. Being able to bake a painted sculpt would be awesome.