how to model a "mantling"

hello out there
I would like to model a coat of arms, but don t know
how to start on the “mantling” (the “leaves” at the sides)
especially the “flipping” part makes me scratch my head :wink:
all suggestions wellcome…

Attachments

Depending on what you need it for, I think I’d do the outline with nurbs, and then extrude it and make the result twist around like in the drawing… Not sure how to make the resulting mesh into quads, though…

are you doing it in 2D or 3D?

happy bl

thanks very helpful …
a thin 3d model is the goal but it s the flipping part that s difficult for me…

try making it in 2D then use the twist in simple modifier !

happy bl

You might want to consider using a plane and turning the subsurf up highish on it and a solidify modifier. Don’t worry about topology at this point Just get the general shapes in place, Duplicate the scene and then apply those mods. (( Maybe do some subsurf modeling before sculpting if that is your thing)) Here is a starter blend to show what I mean, Feel free to use the hell out of it if need be.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/39332

Once you get your general shapes of the leaves to the point where you are happy with them. It will make detailing them so much easier. Just take your time and don’t fall in love with your work. Also at first don’t be afraid to stretch it on the Z axis, You can always scale it down later.

Wow!! thanks a lot maestro
and don t worry…I never fell in love with my work :wink:
thanks again

Attachments

here is the result… thanks again for the input

Attachments

show at angle view too

looking nice

add some nice metal mat in cycles

happy cl

here you are…

Bravo Zulu.

thanks a bunch, maestro

You might find this of interest:

Sorry nothing being explained there, but the workflow corresponds to the stuff discussed in the excellent thread linked to by Secrop. Still a chance to learn a few tricks by watching how it’s done.