Human character modelling - heroes and heroines

Hi,

Now that I’ve modelled a cartoony character, I thought it time to move on to something new, human models. After searching for a while I finally found a good tutorial for a human model that covers muscle flow, and the basics of a human body.

I thought that I should do a basis model, which I could then use to build all my future character on. (Much simpler than rebuilding the whole body everytime.) From there I figured I should probably do the same for female characters and build a basis for them as well.

I used the male body and did some tweaking and re-sizing to turn him into her. It wasn’t easy, and there’s still some things that are a bit off. But for a basis model I think it works just fine. (Even though I’d want the basis to be as ready as possible so I wouldn’t need to fight with “something seems odd”. Though I’ll have to do all sorts of tweaking for all sorts of characters and I’m sure I’ll be fighting with that anyhow.)

I know the back bones on the female look funny and I’m working on fixing them at the moment.

So here are the basic meshes… next I should make some characters, right? And since I have two bodies and two genders, might as well do two characters, right?
But I’m gonna aim a bit higher and make 4 characters, 2 males & 2 females (hence the plurals in the title).
The objective is to use these two models and try to make 4 distinct characters, since most of defining details of all people are in their faces, I figure that’ll be require the most work. And of course I’ll also be making them animation ready so I’ll be rigging them before I get actual modelling. I’m gonna go all the way and both dress them up and pose them. We’ll see where I go from there, when I get there.

And as usual on this site, I’ll be counting on you, “professionals”, to help me spot and fix any weirdness/mistakes I miss. Thanks :wink:

UPDATE #1

Got 'em rigged and fixed some anatomical issues… well I’ll still have to apply some “corrective shape keys”, I think they’re called, to make the deform more natural. I did what I could with weight painting, though there are somethings that just can’t be done with weight tweaking alone. But I’ll get back to that once I get the faces done, probably before texturing.

We’ll see how much I get done, my studies are draining me dry this week. I’ll try to get some hours in, if not before, at least during the weekend.

An overall look on the characters… There isn’t much there yet cause I haven’t done anything to the faces. But It’s a good starting point if nothing else. I’ll keep this updating this picture for a general profile look.

looks good, but on the female, there is an issue of boob to butt ratio…if the breasts are large, then the butt and thighs should also have some fat on them. also, the breasts seem to be defying gravity somewhat, but I guess maybe she will be wearing a bra of some kind, so maybe not an issue.

Yes, that’s right, the butt! Exactly. I knew something was missing but I just couldn’t put my finger on it.

Luckily, that’s quickly remedied.

I’m not too worried about the breasts, though, since I plan on making some clothes as well. I have no intention of leaving them in the nude.

But thanks for noticing.

UPDATE #2

Time for a long due update! After a party cruise and a sick week, I’m finally back up and running.
Not that I have that much to show, but…

I’ve gotten the first face done, somewhat.
I’m not trying to make it photo-realistic, but just a tad cartoony. Like Pixar characters tend to be.

Next up are teeth, which should make the face a bit easier characterize.

Updated overview.