City model - summer, autumn

Hey all,

I made this scene earlier, finally had some time to render it. Trees were added using a particle system, then made them summer and autumn colors just for fun. Any comments how I could improve it?

Advice on how to improve it is going to be fairly dependent on what you intend for it. Initially I notice that the trees seem fairly low poly, and the other models are fairly geometric, so going further with a low-poly/geo style could work. A main thing I would add, no matter what is a good backround. I could see several ways to go with this: if you want to keep some of the clay model aesthetic, you might add a desk for the scene to rest on, and then add an out-of-focus background reminiscent of an architectural firm. Or if you go more low-poly/geo feel, high saturation is often used, which goes against the saturation contrast used here, but similar contrasts can be done if you go with well-saturated deep blues and purples could work for an evening sky, allowing you to draw the viewer’s attention with warmer colours (either the autumn trees, or building/street lights).

Overall, I’d focus on what your goal is for the style of the image, and go from there.

Thanks for your reply Tholomyes! My main goal with this piece was to prepare an image for my website, which is quite minimalistic, using basically only black and white. That’s why I want(ed) this picture to have white background, only a few colors and keep the models simple - thus the low poly trees.

What I’m not really satisifed with is the “clay” material I used for the buildings: the edges of the buildings are a bit hard to see in my opinion…

Anyways, you can check out the model here, if you want to take a closer look on the modeling: https://skfb.ly/IHoq

On the sketchfab model it was much easier to find the edges. Could be because of the lamp, that is parented to the camera. This produces much more shadows. The buildings seem to be darker, too.
Maybe a wireframe overlay would be an interesting effect?
The colors are great on both renders, I like the “sunny feeling”.

Thanks Cebbi, I was also thinking about the wireframe modifier, will give it a try!