blender 2.67b rendering unusually slow

I upgraded from 2.75 a week or so ago and have been using 2.76b. I’m having extremely slow renders in cycles. I’m just rendering at 100 samples with a scene that has nothing but a cylindar and a box and it’s taking several minutes to render at 480p. the same scene would render in 2.66 in 10 secs. What is going on?

I’m using cpu to render. i7 4770 3.6ghz 12gigs ram

Cycles saw quite a bit of development, so it’s not unlikely that 2.67 might have introduced a new setting somewhere that the scene from 2.66 did not trigger (or the other way around: triggers accidentally).

Carefully check all render settings for consistency.

BTW, you updated from an ancient version of Blender (2.66) to a slightly less ancient version (2.67b) - is there a reason for not using the latest Blender release?

Oh sry I meant 2.76b and the version that came before it. I mixed up the 6 and 7. The previous version I used was 2.75. I am thinking that some change to cycles is what is causing this issue. It’s easily 1000x slower. I’m ordering a pretty cool gpu today. GTX 720 2gig 256bit so I can once again render with gpu. Can’t wait.

Could you add the file? I often have rendering problems and I am wondering whether it would be the same for me. Then again, I’m still on 2.75! XD
You wouldn’t happen to have branched path tracing, and having it set to some ridiculously number?