blender crashes when image is applied to empty

I recently built a computer and got blender again and whenever I add an image to an empty( doesn’t matter what file type the image is) and as long as there is another object on screen blender crashes. Here is everything I have tried. reinstalling, my graphics card drivers are up to date( doesn’t let me roll them back either), I have tried the previous version of blender and I have tried using it through steam.I didn’t include the blend file because it happens on any project I start so I don’t think its related to a specific blend file. any help would be awesome.

specs:
windows 10
R9 390 nitro
16gb ram
i-5 4690

Have you reported this repeatable error to the bug tracker ?
An application should not crash so it’should a bug.
First check that no existing bug has been fixed by trying a buildbot daily build

I have reported the bug and I have also tried the latest daily build with no luck

I have a R9 390 nitro, I will give it a try to test. So just with a cube in the scene it crashes when you try applying image to empty?

I was having blender random crashes as well, I had to manually remove all nvidia traces from registry and then installed AMD drivers, use the beta drivers and not stable one.

Here it works fine with my Nitro

Which blender version are you using?

Try removing all nvidia drivers, even manually from registry and defrag your drives, or try installing latest blender in a new directory location.

Something is conflicting, it doesn’t appear to be a bug.

I tried installing blender on my second harddrive and getting the latest beta drivers for my video card and still nothing. I don’t think I have any nvidia driver on my pc because I just built it and have never had anything nvidia in it. Also, it seems to crash only when I try to select a different object after the image has been applied to the empty.

Just tried adding the opengl32.dll file to where my blender.exe file is and it works now although it is very slow. according to the bug report this means the issue is with my drivers but i’m not sure how to fix this because I have tried different drivers for my video card and still have the issue.