Cycles - OpenCL Baking ?

Hey, Is anyone here having issues baking with OpenCL ?

I just picked up some(3) XFX Black Edition R9 290 4GB cards and have been having some issues with baking.
It’ll bake some things but not others. and will render hdri but won’t bake

I know OpenCL has some limitations in blender at the moment , but maybe someone can lend some insight.

I’m starting to do more Archviz stuff lately for wok and I’m trying to learn how to port things into Unreal for interactive walkthroughs.

The bakes work with the cpu , so it’s def an opencl issue.

Also, for those of you doing gaming/archviz, how big are you making you baked textures?
I’m thinking I’m thinking 2k should be more than enough for most bigger objects (chairs,tables, etc etc) and 1k for smaller but promintent things (lamps, props,cushions,) and for anything more mundane than that, just bake into a single 4K texture altogether.

Thoughts?

PS: Any tips for Unreal ?

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support” (this may also fit with rendering or materials/textures. Please let me know if you’d like me to move it)

transparent shadows doesn’t work on AMD. So if you are using for archviz it is quite possible you may have used that somewhere.

I have not tried baking yet with my AMD R9 390 but I will give it a shot.

For textures make sure it fit the 4GB VRAM of your GPU. Using three R 290 doesn’t stack, it is still 4 GB of VRAM.

If you are going out of memory, divide your scene into different render layers, so different parts take less GPU memory.