Recommended music composition software?

In most cases, our media department grabs stock music for background in our movies. They can usually find something kinda-sorta-OK but I’d prefer a little more control over content and pacing ie. using the rhythm to enhance certain parts over others, and so on. For what its worth, I remember enough from high school band practice to get by working on sheet music.

Any recommendations on “reasonable” cost (I’ll let you decide what that is) Win7-compatible software? Most of what I’ve seen is audio editing software rather than something that can create the music. I’m looking for the latter although if it comes with the former I certainly wouldn’t complain.

I use Mixcraft 7 Pro and I can say it’s about the biggest bang for the buck you can possibly get in the area of music creation and editing.

It’s an application that drips with features, is fairly stable, and gets regular updates that adds bugfixes and smaller enhancements. It has a huge collection of virtual instruments that can also be edited with a large selection of filters and effects. Don’t forget the massive loop library in the case you just want to quick put something together. On top of that, this is being made by a company which takes consumer feedback seriously and offers only permanent licenses.

Why paid software, consider the fact that the best that FOSS can currently give you in music creation is LMMS. It has plenty of stuff for casual music makers, but it leaves a bit to be desired for those really wanting options and power in places like instruments and precision.

If you didn’t learned music, go for ACID.
If you learned, depending on other variables Cubase, PreSonus One, Sonar, etc. could be a choice.

Get the trials.

Anyway, compositing music is not easy without knowing music and instruments, so I would go for freelancers if I were you, without musical skills and education (if you don’t have any experiences).

Thanks Ace Dragon - I think that’s exactly what I’m after.

I second Mixcraft. I’ve been using it since 2009. I’ve scored many of my shorts and two features with it. Works great with the M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard too :slight_smile:

If you need music creation(not mixing), use Finale or MuseScore.

For music scoring, as you said, [URL=“http://www.musescore.org”]MuseScore is fantastic.

Early on, I decided to look at MuseScore, then Finale or Sibelius. And, frankly, I stopped my research with MuseScore and never looked back. (It’s even more astonishing in its current release.) It runs on everything, and produces beautiful work. Because it includes a (SoundFont based) synthesizer, it even provides excellent playback.

For my own semi-pro work, I use a Mac that runs Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro X, both of which work together seamlessly to perform this kind of task. Again, I never looked back. Quite frankly, I think I would buy this software and the necessary computer to run it on. Just like everybody else did. :spin:

I think the best (now free) is still Emagic logic audio platinum v5.5.1 (for pc), pro quality audio + supports vst plugins.
Yes, Apple bought it over decade ago and now its Logic Pro X.

And if you are familiar with nodes, please welcome :slight_smile:

Does it still run on Win7?

I agree anyway, Logic was my favorite for compositing/recording.

I dont know Win7, I used it Win ME/XP.
Its heaven with midi controller, all inbuild/vst parameters realtime recording tuning real hardware knobs same time and later edit them if needed, like Blender graphic editor.
And yes, Blender nodes are 15 years behind, but dont tell them who didnt know they existed way before.

:))) I will keep my mouth closed:)))

opps sorry, did not read it was already mentioned.
https://musescore.org/

I got an Ableton 9 Live Lite serial with a MIDI keyboard I bought. I use that. It’s awesome.
ableton.com/en/products/live-lite