Poseidon

Hi All

Spent a good while on this over the last few months with a huge amount of help from many in the WIP thread.

All done in Blender with a lot of post in PS, Poseidon is from Makehuman. There is a lot that could still be improved on, but you get to the point sometimes where you have just had enough. :smiley:

See what you think, crits and comments appreciated.

Shaun

Dramatic! Love the water and the foam. Great work Shaun!

That turned out pretty cool :slight_smile: - The eyes are much better and I like the new pose a lot ^^

yep … well done ! :yes:

Looking good Speed. I saw the materials involved in this project and believe you could have worked well into retirement on this one. I’m sure you learned a lot and I couldn’t agree more with your thinking here. Hell your machine will no doubt thank you in the coming week.

Well done, Shaun. I like the changes that you did to the pose. The slightly different angle adds more dynamic to it. And it was a good move to make him taller than the wave.

The image depicts him as master of the blind forces of nature. And I can almost hear the roaring of the waves and the storm.

Great job! I followed your WIP thread and I love the result. Very strong pose, awesome materials and lighting. 5-star stuff going on here.

Great job on this Speed, and you can tell you were happy to wrap this up. The water and foam came out absolutely fantastic.

The great thing about digital art (providing you keep the files) is you can always go back and revisit it.

@Sussi, thank you, appreciate it.

@Breagha, thank you and also for your help in the WIP.

@wolfgannn, thanks for looking in here and comments.

@Ghost, thanks for all your help and input, machine sent me a mail today asking what was going on. :spin:

@minoribus, thanks for your help with this one, your subtle suggestions drive me on.

@Meshmonkey, did not know you were having a look at the WIP, thanks for your comments here, appreciate them.

@harley, thank you too for all your help in the WIP, really grateful for the help.

Shaun

I’m sure it did and if you listen closely a small voice might be saying thank you so much. I think it crashed on my machine simply because I had the graphics card selected when pressing render. With 2MBs I simply haven’t run across that before. I should have known that was being rendered on the CPU. So with F12 it was Windows immediately locking up. Take care and have fun deciding on your next project.

turned out great, man. super cool render.

Like the concept and the execution, well done.

It is a good image, I’ll give it that, but I’m not sure I’m feeling the scale here

@ Ghost, did a mock up of something like this. :no: Just know this is going to cause me pain and suffering. :smiley:

@ Modron, thanks man appreciate you visiting.

@ lhumungus, thank you very much.

@ sheepHD, thanks, what would you suggest with the scale, I shoved the dolphins in there to have a reference to scale?

Shaun

The dolphins aren’t quite enough, as I didn’t even notice them at first. Also, they’re slightly contradicting, as the scale of the foam and spray indicates Poseidon being about human-size. Not to sound picky, the water is very good, and the finished image is quite impressive.

Oh, so now we have a vertical format. LOL My South African buddy when we go straight to 3d for a concept it can go all wrong in minutes. Or, sometimes all right. My suggestion would be using primitives to block a composition in. Without benefit of a concept artist that might be the way to go. Otherwise we get quickly locked into details and concepts way to soon.

And, speaking of concepts minoribus saved me from myself several weeks ago. While attempting to use the viewport in Blender as a sketchpad I came up with some shit… well, a concept not worth discussing. Have you ever wondered why concept artist are some of the highest paid members of a studio. Because they lock down a composition the wrist can depart from. Using anything from a 2B drawing pencil to Krita or most likely Adobe Illustrator. But, the point is they do it in 2d. For the initial composition 3d seems to hinder a artist.

And, that is the end of this rant. :slight_smile: Well, almost. Scale in a composition like you just finished can be a bitch. Even my little project having no human figures suffers from a lack of scale. Because of course a human figure is the best scaling device known to man. Not having that we have to resort to something else a viewer might immediately recognize. Then again we might want to turn scale on it’s head. The God of the Sea I take it was not one of those compositions. Nor, is my little effort.

Shaun the Dolphin could have been 1/3 of the composition coming straight at the viewer if the figure had been in a vertical format standing tall. And, a sense of scale could still be obvious. But, this is what I mean about us diving right into the Blender viewport before pinning a concept and composition down. I do the same thing as minoribus did with his steampunk still. Then at some point in that WIP it dawned on him. Or, seemed to. First the 2d concept and composition and then it’s off to the Blender viewport.

Now before I start seeing flack left and right many artist might find this unnecessary. And, God knows this forum has some amazing art work. But, I’ve noticed this biting me in the ass lately. Opening the viewport with no idea of what I want to do. Once again concept artist are a reality. Any view of the Blender institute has concept art hanging on the walls. And, Speedy once again you might be off on a concept which would bring my machine to a complete stop by hitting F12.

IMHO first comes a 2d concept and composition and then the Viewport. The wave became the main player in your composition way to soon in my view. Now if you want my address so we can meet on the tarmac and duke this out send me a PM. But, don’t waste any time old buddy. I’d hate to see your trip being for nothing.

///

Greetings from Bumthang!!! Just search it my friend,

I am having a wonderful time here, just popped into say a quick hello and well done on Poseidon.

I will comment more when I don’t have to type on my phone.

Cheers for now, Clock. :slight_smile:

Great finish and wonderful piece. Really nice to take a break from realism and go for supernatural.

Great looking water! Can I ask: How did you create and control the foam?

Sorry… starting searching by your posts, and I am finding info… Looks great!