Like a burning kite- A short film in BGE

Hey guys :smiley:
I ve wanted to do a project like this for a long time now but i have always felt like i wasnt ready for a project that big…
Still not sure if i will be able to finish it but i will try my best:) What ever maybe i should start by telling you whats my goal with this project…

Basically i want to create a short film but in the BGE and in in first person view. You will be able to walk around in realtime in the environment while experiencing the story:D Maybe that sounds strange at first but i think it could work quite well:D
I havent done to much for this project by now just the basic concept and i have also modeled a first npc that turned out quite well i think (especially for being my first character i ve ever done :D)

Looking forward to posting more updates on here and i hope for some feedback later on:confused:
(sorry for my english btw :D)

Sounds very interesting :eyebrowlift2:

I’m happy to help with anything you need :slight_smile:

Just a little update on the progress of my game :slight_smile:
didnt have a lot of time to work on this project because of school and some trouble in reallife:D
However i started creating the first scene of my game wich is going to be a little asian restaurant and i have also played around with rigging the npc from the post above. Finally i did some concepts for other locations :slight_smile:
Hope i will be able to post bigger updates soon when i have the time :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks pretty fancy. It will look generally really good with right shaders and lighting adaption. Oh, and for a movie you’ll want to have dynamic DOF filter, of course:)

This one shows more of the scene (all WIP)
I will look into baking AO over textures since i have never done that before :confused:

Attachments

Thank you :smiley: yea i will look into things like that^^ and any idea where i can get a DOF filter? :slight_smile:

Martinsh converted on to BGE, lemme find it in my files…

Edit: Sent you in Skype my file with some filters:)

Updated the Scene with some nice filters (special thanks to adriansnetlis for helping me with those^^)

Nice. You should capture it from angle where we can see DOF more deeply aswell(for example, place camera very close to a tip of stool’s support so that it gets blurred from DoF:)

okay yea :smiley: i will do that later, gonna start modeling some things now :slight_smile:

working on some assets for the kitchen :slight_smile:
EDIT: looks darker than it is on my pc :frowning:

Better overview of the kitchen (again all WIP) Really dont know why they are so dark on here :((

What you want to do is to add a very little ambient lighting(e.g. a hemi-lamp with around 0.02 energy or something like that(see yourserlf so that it isn’t too bright and so that it doesn’t break the ambience of scene. Alternate way is to bake lightmap in Cycles(only fits well if there are no lamps moving) and for character shadows use a shadow-only lamp… I will see if I can help you with it:)

Na the problem is i have done that already but the pictures are way darker than on my pc. its possible that my screen is just to bright:/ i will turn down the brightness of my pc and will look over the lighting again.

Yeah… Propably you have set gamma/brightness up too much or the color management doesn’t fit the output that screenshoter receives

Looking really good!

hope the brightness is okay this time :smiley:
Or is it too bright?

It looks good. I guess this scene isn’t meant to be horror scene. IF so, than the brightness should be bright enaugh to understand the environment. In real life it wouldn’t be any darker. For example, some light comes in from door slits. The light from those 2 lamps also bounces that way lighting the area around them a bit(known as Global Illuminance). So this brightness should be OK!:slight_smile: IF you use color management filter, you can manage the overall feeling of scene by adjusting values:

• Contrast - the more contrast, the more scene will feel sunny and nice. Contrast can also be used in action scenes.
  • Brightness - just the adjuster, can be also used for mood. Low brightness and low contrast(but brightness not too low) and the scene will feel sad.
  • Saturation - the more saturated, the more sunny and happy scene, and opposite:) So if you reduce saturation(e.g. 0.7), it will feel not as sunny and happy scene. But if you set it to like 1.2, it will feel pretty happy. Too oversaturated scenes usually refer to nuclear cathastropes.

Those are just few facts about color management used in movie/game art that even are not based on realism, but more likely set’s the mood for the watcher/player. It is very important component of video art;)

what the story line? and that npc you made at the beginning is really cool. :smiley: