adventure of baby dragon

the last weeks i worked on a big project. i had decided to try to make a gamecharacter, and baby dragon was born

here is the raw sculpt (yes it was done in zbrush)

the retopo however was done in blender, as well as the uv, and the animations needed

i also made a dog, as a secondary character

and here is how he looks finished

when i had baby dragon finished, i thought it would be fun, to actually create a game with him. so i did. the game is done with unity, retopo and the environment is built in blender, all animations and props build in blender…here is an in game shot:

so, if you like puzzle games, without monsters, without killing, and without shooting, but rather a quiet pieceful game, and if you don’t mind a big download (around 120 mb) and that the game has no saving function, then i invite you to try it out:

pc and mac versionsare here, linux version is here.

i hope you enjoy.

ps as i am on mac, i could not try the linux version, but i know that the pc version is working perfectly.

Attachments

nice character, doris! I like it!

That is so cute :slight_smile: - love the texturing

Some might think it’s cute, meanwhile I get the impression that the Dragon baby wins the creepy model of the year award (helped by the fact the face almost gives a sense that it’s made of wood). Maybe it’s the doll-like proportions and creases in the facial features?

Okay, so it looks good for something meant to be in a game engine, now if only the starting size of a UE4 game was not 100 megabytes or above (and reading the forums, a size that has been almost unheard of in the world of game engines).

To note; by creepy I am not saying I take offense at it.

I’m not a big fan of “cute”, so I don’t think I’m qualified to comment on whether you reached it or not. It does remind me of some BBC children’s shows and the proportions/facial features in them, so you can’t be too far off (if not already at) the “cute factor”. :slight_smile:

Aside from retopo, can I ask how much was done in Blender?

It’s Unity, not UE4. Kind of helps getting the engine right before complaining about it :wink:

btolputt, only the dragon model was sculpted in zbrush. the dog, as the image above shows was sculpted in blenders dynatopo. it got a pass for the hair in zbrush though… in blender were done all other gamemodels completely, the environment, the rigging, all the animations, the uv’s, all retopos, the texturing and materials.

acedragon, it is unity engine. i don’t know what you mean by “starting size”, but this is a complete game, not just an intro or a teaser. it is a game with an intro, an in-game-tutorial, complete game with gameplay taking at least 2 hours (when you know the solution), music and sounds, and credits, in the midth of game there are almost 500 gameobjects, 80% of which are animated… maybe you critique size of download without having looked at game?
your critique on the dragon, it is ok if you don’t like it, but your remarks offer no help whatsoever how it could be improved in your opinion…

Really excellent Doris. I downloaded it and played for about 15 minutes. Huge bonus points for creating a game that doesn’t lean on violence and gore. It was fun and engaging. It is inspiring, and I may take another shot at the unity engine.

I’ll offer a few CCs if you plan on continuing development.

I didn’t make it very far and never made the connection hinted at between the water color and butterflies. There were a few things that frustrated me during game play.

1. I tried to water several black flowers and nothing happened.
  2. I become quite trapped in a brick wall with the wall flashing full screen.
  3. I loved the dog, and wanted very much to interact with him, it took quite a while to realize I had to left click directly on the note after putting down another item. Perhaps right (or left clicking) anywhere on the dog provide the map.
  4. The background violin music was quite nice to begin with but became grating and after 8 minutes and I took my headphones off. Perhaps lower the volume, or move to a less melodic and softer beat/ambient driven sounds during walking and use the violin when an achievement is made.

I might make the initial puzzle/scene easier with quicker rewards, with tougher and longer challenges further along.

Incredible stuff!

hi photox, thank you for playing the game! and thank you for your observations… 1) is good, so it means i need give feedback to the player, as to why nothing happens, 2) i am sorry for that. i used a camera script provided from unity, since i could not script the camera myself. (it was my first time ever scripting in c#, and camera movement is quite complicated) it is besides the music, the only thing i did not create by myself. , 3) more interaction with the dog comes in further play, not so early as first 15 minutes. good, i will extend the click on dog instead of map only. 4) ah, i see, yes music is not my strong point, i will learn from your comment here. thanks a lot for helpful critique!

Hi doris, I play the game too, I has problem to give water to the black flowers.
I attemp give to the flowers that have the butterfly, but for some reason the interaction dont appear.

mmm… my feedback is maybe to begginers, put elements that help to player know more quicklie how interact with elements, for example a little comentary that say you can take a object with right click, but Im not sure if that is part of your desing that the player discover what is the buttons for control the character, or maybe I don’t put attention in the moment.

If you need help on scripting I can help :D, I agree about the camera too, I hope you can solved!

about the character, is subjective my opinion, but I think maybe the features on his face need be more bigs, or give a little cartonish for looks more cute, and quit a little the antropomorphic features; some reference that I attemp say:

http://kingdomespionage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/KC_Baby-Dragon-Concept-2.jpg

I think his stomach need more big, and his legs and arms more shorts, for give more a cute form. But im not sure if that feedback accomplish with your concept.

for another side, his details ares pretty cool, I like a loot the scales on his stomach and tail!

greetings doris, is great see you are begining to create games!

hi jose, thank you for trying the game, and for your input…
the game explains on the start screen, what is dragons task, how to pick up things (with left mouse click), and how to interact with things (with right mouse click). after you finished the ingame tutorial, you can read this text again by clicking on the left bottom button.

so if you want water a flower, then you need to carry the watering can, and then right click on the flower. if the color of water is correct, the flower color will change from black to that color. if the color of water is wrong, you hear a “negative” sound.
if you want pick up the spade, thenyou left click on the spade… and so on…

thank you for all the inspirations links. yes these are more baby than my dragon is, i see your point.

Cutest little character. I have yet to see the game, but I love character design. You’ve done incredibly well with so little polygons. Good job!

Great Job! I really like the characters especially the baby dragon. It would be interesting to see them 3D printed.

Reem
MakePrintable