House

Having gotten my first conversion out of the way, I’m moving on, but this is a mammoth task for learning. Again, I’ve exported this from my original Cinema 4D model (which took 3 months after years of experience). The modelling itself is not so hard, so I’ll forgive myself. The challenge to myself, texture and light.

For reference, I’ve posted my original C4D render, and my preliminary light for the Blender conversion. There are a hell of a lot of components and textures to this, so don’t expect fast progress or miracles. Having said that, even if it takes months, I can see the end result in Blender being the better. This is very much a jump in at the deep end learning experience. I’ll remake the textures where I can, and restart where I can’t.

For information, this is a full interior and exterior (even though you can’t yet see it in the clay model), so I don’t get away with a brick, a roof and some gutters. I have to do the lot.

Started. I’ve done some work on the interior textures, too, but the lighting is horrible, so the post will wait.

More progress. Outside texturing almost complete. Still have the interior to do.

A further update. Adjusted lighting, more texture work. Rendered at much higher samples now.

Time for a HQ update. Unfortunately, render times have gotten stupid long, even on GPU (the daylight render was 8 hours at 4500 samples). Still not happy with the roof tiles being too saturated, and starting to think I may have to take the diffuse into gimp to fix it.

Render times have gotten stupid, and so updates will come as I reach renders. I’ve re-done the roof texture in gimp, and have fixed the missing textures on the roof, but it’s likely to be three - four days before new renders are ready. Nevertheless, with this in mind, any C&Cs are more than welcome.

As a taster - new front render

Really Great Work ,incredible…!!
Just Loved it, :frowning:

Updated render of the back

@Charliedj

Thank you for commenting, and I’m glad that you like it. Not finished with it yet, but hopefully soon. The bottleneck now is the stupid long render times (even on GPU), but I’ll get there.

Daylight

You’ve done a lot of great modeling and texturing but the materials and lighting look like they could use some attention.

Nice renders, but i think:

• The outerswalls are a bit large seen the house.
  • The gate looks a bit large for just people to enter, cause there isnt much space for a car there.
    So the gate could be smaller with a slightly larger one on the left or right for the car?

It’s actually built to real world scale, but I do see what you are getting at. I may throw a car in there to detail scale.

You’ve done a lot of great modeling and texturing but the materials and lighting look like they could use some attention.

Can you be more specific?

The leaves on the trees look like they don’t have any glossiness to them and also don’t look like they are transmitting any light.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Polariser_on_Vegetation.jpg (look at the picture on the right)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Leavessnipedale.jpg
both of those examples are extreme but are valid references for foliage material design, and all of that applies to your grass also.
I don’t know what your node setup looks like so I can’t really know what the reasons are for most things in the scene looking flat and so diffuse like, it might just be imperfect lighting or my eyes are lying to me.

The grass is Andrew’s, unmodified, though to me it doesn’t look so bad. The leaves are my own and they do have glossiness applied, but maybe some translucency would help. Perhaps tonight’s render (the daylight render is up to 7 hours, even on GPU, so progress is slow. The preview renders don’t really cut it at this stage).

EDIT: Made a couple of edits to the leaves. I had a light path that I’ve removed, and added a translucent.

For info, here’s the node setup for the leaves.

And I have to admit, to me it looks better. EDIT: They look better. I may have chosen the wrong lights :frowning:

EDIT 2: I definitely chose the wrong lights. Bang goes a 7 hour render. Guess another overnight is required.

I see you aren’t using fresnel to mix your glossy shaders with the diffuse shaders, I would recommend using it, on everything.
http://filmicgames.com/archives/557
And you should simplify your shader setup, it’s overly complicated.

And also i noticed that your leaves are flat ( for example look at the left column). It could be much better if you added some little bending to them from the beginning

@ shajuke. I’ve actually simplified the shader a little. I would usually use fresnel, but I need an IoR for leaves.

@Silverland. Agreed, but this is an import, not a native Blender build. Whilst the original was done with a particle system, it’s all separate polygons in Blender. I would have to literally remodel every single leaf individually, and as dedicated as I want to be, that isn’t going to happen. There are 1,000s of them.