aircraft modeling

http://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/how-to-make-an-airplane-part-12/

time stamp 15:15

Hey folks I am trying to use blender for plane modeling. Using Guru’s tut, listed above with a time stamp, how do I make the expandable grab box that is being used to define the wing root with loop cuts?

I’m a total novice so terms are not known to me so be kind. Only interest is modeling WW2 planes for gaming. Attach is 1st try.

I am struggling with terms and shortcuts. No CG background at all so I kind of need it dumbed down.

ty

Attachments

B-key to box select.
C-key to circle select. Scroll wheel to increase/decrease brush size of circle select.

Maybe you will find this this guide more useful than this BG tutorial? It describes how to build a WWII fighter in Blender, for detailed visualizations. For gaming/simulators you would have to simplify some of the described methods…

ty

next, I seem to be popping the wrong key and changing tools and such inadvertently. Is there a default return for tools and such?

How much ram does my pc need at this level of modeling, single aircraft object, I have been toying with different techniques as I gain knowledge. I did a total extrusion fuselage, I tried a fuselodge using sections provided with ref drw. My pc seems to operate differently as I try these things, why do things keep altering? prolly me but I’m jumping in head 1st so…post pics later for guidance purposes.

please note attach.

Why does the knife tool not connect the points with the red lines?

Not understanding the knife rules I guess, I am progressing mistake by error, he he.

Discovered my issue with earlier post. You must maintain center and work from center or else. Since I was using small extensions and working out, I blew the keeping center requirement. Better to establish the basic outside dimensions around center, and then edit.

Attachments

knife cuts edges !

happy bl

my 1st 3D model EVER!

Its just the basic body/wing mesh. From here I would make the propeller as an added object yes?

This is my learning model I hope. I will learn as I make this, all the various aspects. animation, rigging, paint, texture.

Here the goal would is a P40 right off the construction line. all aluminum, no colors.

I had trouble with the ends of extruded wings. Whats the technique for clean wing tips with minimal poly?

comments, critiques, pointers, tips, links, hints, tuts, help appreciated, and of coarse dumb it down for me.
ty

Attachments

ty exactly what I needed.

Now I believe I have a base to work with now. Not the best but to learn with, add in the ani’s, rig its moving parts.

I know I need serious poly reduction, I ended up with some tri angles but I think I captured the shapes nuances.

and I seem to have a rudder issue.

Attachments

moving forward

Attachments

I made the gear housing as a separate cylinder, how do I link it to main object so it will mirror and not be a separate object?

Attachments

Man this is tuff.

Attachments

OK, gonna try it again. Got my pc back together.
Seeing what approach I was using before, are there any suggestions to modeling method for ww2 aircraft?
I liked what I was using but maybe theres a better one.
Need to know best approach to cutting out ailerons, flaps and rudder after you have extruded wings and rudder? Keeping in mind that model is for online gaming purposes.

why is the propellor cone part of the body mesh? wouldn’t it be better/esier to have it separate?

just me learning methods. yes in a working object I would prolly make the prop and cover as a separate deal and import in. right now still learning the proper approach and techniques for my specific end goal. ww2 aircraft to drive.

would still like best method for getting ailerons, flaps and rudder cut away from an extruded wing, for gaming purposes.