Attempt to Create a Realistic Material

Hello!

This is my first attempt to create a realistic material. So I decided to start with Lolipop.
Usually I make simple materials, but this time it took me a hour to do.

I would like to hear your feedbacks, for the good and for the bad, in ordr to get better next time :slight_smile:
So tell me what you think!

Uhm. That particular shader is a REAL mess.

But basically, the idea I had was to fake internal structures using anisotropic reflections. I noticed that in reference images that the cracks inside the candy were illuminated along their direction. By applying a texture to the direction and glossy parameters, I was able to achieve this kind of effect. It originated in a wood texture (search: morning wood) where I noticed that, again, internal reflections were complexly anisotropic.

I’ve been using Blender off and on for a very long time. I’ve been doing some kind of 3D work since I was like eight maybe? Just playing around with this goofy little program called Virtus Walkthrough. It was pretty amazing in 1990. From there I did a lot with Infini-D as a teenager.

I want to say I first downloaded it when I was 18, so, 14 years? But to be honest, I was in the mindset that I didn’t actually have to learn anything and that if I just noodled around long enough I’d just “get it” without putting any real effort into it. Plus pre-2.5 was pretty awful to use. Perhaps less technical, but way out in the weeds.

So it wasn’t really until last summer when I really decided that I wanted to learn that I started making any real progress, and I’m by no means anywhere close to being where I want/need to be. Watching tutorials on youtube helps, but even then you kind of have to know what to look for.

As for formal training, I am currently a BFA at the University of Montana. I’m studying animation with a focus on technical animation, shading and lighting.