Is there a way to bloom in Blender

not sure where to post this.
But i curious i know its not realism, but still (who cares about realism?),…i wonder is there a way to get (gaming like) bloom effects into cycles ?

bloom is a post 2d filter, so I bet it’s possible to just use the cycles shot as a texture on a plane, and then run it in a game engine, run bloom and then copy the video buffer ?

ctrl+printscreen?

whatever the game resolution is would be the print screen right?

Just use the compositor (create a mask that shows the bright areas only, apply a good doze of Gaussian blur, and add it back in).

ok i’ll try that thanks guys

i wanted to use it on a product demo model, to get a more newish effect

You can also try out the compositor glare node, under filter. Just play with the oprions, you can get some nice effects.

Glare node in “fog glow” mode usually gives the best results. If you need extra control of the intensity, set the mix factor on the glare node to 1, then add the output back to your original image.Btw, bloom is absolutely a physical effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_(shader_effect)#TheoryNot only that, but unlike a lot of other “lens effect” type things, it’s something that occurs on both our eyes and camera lenses. Unlike, say, chromatic abberation or those anamorphic horizontal spikes. So the sharp transition from a bright spot to a dark region looks very unnatural because no real lens can focus that way.

1 Like