Wetsuit

Hello :slight_smile:

I need your help…

I created wetsuit on avatar in Blender. Now, I have a problem…

Is it possible to define seams on this wetsuit, unwrap it and use the patterns for cutting the real neoprene suit? Can you give me the advise? Would it work?

I am working on some project.

Thanks!

yes I think there is an add-on that can do this sort of thing. One Is for making paper models, and I think there’s one for making patterns as well, though I can’t recall what either are called.
(edit) I bet you could come pretty close just by using a UV grid, and perhaps the ‘live unwrap’ feature, to get everything completely even. The UV grid allows you to see where distortion is occurring, or differences in scaling. The live unwrap feature allows you to adjust your problem areas and have the adjustments translate to other portions of your UV coordinates, without affecting other ones ( ones which are pinned ).

Marvelous Designer… As I say to all artists, use the tools which best suit the task. Export your character model, import it into Marvelous Designer and import it back into Blender. 20 minutes at best.

he wants to make his model into an actual wetsuit ( in real space ), so basically to export a sewing pattern. I looked at marvelous designer, and I don’t think it does that, as far as I could tell.

Huh? You import your character model into MD and create sewing patterns for the clothing, just like in real life. It then simulates the material around the object, including seams and tension points. You can then use a function called ‘Quadify’ which creates a use-able SubD mesh. Export the wetsuit or whatever it is you’ve made back into Blender along with the character model and you’re done. No idea what you’re going on about, I’ve been using Marvelous Designer for environment and clothing assets for ages over on Polycount.

He isn’t saying that he wants to export the patterns. What he said is that he’s created a base-model for the wetsuit and now he wants to create seams in the model. You can do this in MD since you define the seams before simulation. You can then export and unwrap the model for texturing.

from the original post:

for cutting the real neoprene suit

Thanks for advice!