Café Table

I made this scene as an exercise. I’m rather new to Blender and currently trying to adapt to the modelling tools and Cycles rendering engine.

I did two versions of scene lighting. I’m learning Blender and loving it! I’ll be happy to hear your comments…

Thanks!

(Aperture f/8 - Focal length 40 mm)

this is good. You night want to work on your focal points. As it stands, you have the phone and the emblen on the cup as sharp. That sign on the cup is hurting you. You would not see it as clear in life. The focal length is compromised. Also scale down the texture on the table…this is the most common mistake people do…but wow…a really, really great job!

Good job, that looks really good ! I’m in love with the coffee stain on the spoon and near it, it looks perfect to me :slight_smile: One thing that catch my eyes is the “sharp” edge on the smartphone’s screen side, the light reflection is a bit weird.

Thank you Matt… I created an empty and picked is as focus object on camera settings, I placed that empty right on the surface of the coffee cup where the logo is. So the mid section of the phone got into the depth of field too. I intentionally kept the logo sharp, but as you said it might have looked better if logo was slightly defocused. About the wood texture: that texture is actually from a photo I took at a restaurant here in Jakarta. The wood had nice accented grain and I thought it would look nice as a texture. Anyway, that actual table was 80 x 80 cm and the plane I created on Blender is exactly 80 by 80 cm. So the grain is matching the actual size. But maybe that particular type of wood has larger grain pattern than we get used to see. Here is the photo I took and the diffuse texture I created on GIMP.

Thank you, InhumanRampage. I might use a feathered light source and avoid sharp reflections. I used area lights as they are, and they are sharp on the edges indeed. I will remember this next time. Thanks a lot.