Fluid around a cell. Is it possible?

Hi guys,
I am quite new to this amazing field, so apologize in advance if my questions might appear stupid.
I am interested in biological stuffs and trying to reproduce the attached cell. In particular, I am striving to figure out how to make the irregular fluid (water? A sort of jelly) attached outside the membrane of the cells.

Could you drive me through this and help replicate these pictures?

Thank you very much to everybody.

Attachments

You mean the clear membrane on the outside? Should just be a simple glass shader, probably with a procedural bump map so you don’t need to model in all the little distortions in the surface.

. . . and there could be even more (compositing) magic involved. For example, you might render the two cells “sharply,” apply a blur node to them, and then combine them with a sharp render of the fluid, which itself might contain several parts, e.g. if the substance is responsible for the dark spots, which occlude the light from the cells and provide darkness, as well as the specularity, which occlude the light from the cells and provide brightness.

I suggest that, instead of going right out and trying to duplicate this image exactly, you should use it for inspiration for what might be an appropriate (but perhaps simpler) render that is suitable for your purposes and project . . .

Or, “renders.” The entire show will normally consist of a number of views from different camera distances and angles, some of which are “establishing shots” like this one (which allow the viewer to “take it all in”), while others are action shots, e.g of cells dividing or being moved around. As long as the outcome is visually consistent throughout the show, it is often possible to greatly simplify some of the renders, especially if the viewer has recently seen “a deliciously detailed close-up shot” like this one. (He will “see” what he expects to see, now.) Look for a treatment that is visually consistent, biologically correct, illustrative, and achievable with the equipment that you have at hand, economizing wherever possible.

Mooney did a blood cell that looks like pic in post 1
but i lost the link
I will ask him to give the link

happy cl

Hi Ninja,
yes, I might try to follow your suggestions.
i am only wondering how to get the dark shadows on the surface.
it is a matter of light or something else?

thanks

Thank you Ricky, it would be very useful!

Hi thanks for your hints. Actually, this is a real exceed ice for me at the moment. I’d like to reproduce this picture not because it is actually real, but because I’d like to learn to do things that I’m currently not able to do. Finally, I’d surely follow your suggestion and make things simpler, essential but biologically correct.

About the first part of your message. It’s hard for me to understand how to do these steps in practice. Could you share with me any schema of nodes? Or could you redirect me to video, or other informative material?

thank you in advance

Hi moony,
thank you. I’ll try to follow your suggestions.
regards

Silicone is also an interesting set up

But what was the link for this Blood watery thing ?

it is looking a little like first pic

thanks
happy bl

Attachments

OK Thanks. I’ll try to do it and will share with you the result.
Thank you once again!

did a quick test here

happy cl

Attachments

Here’s a basic test file, hope it helps :slight_smile:

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/39006

Hi, this is great, thank you very much. I confess not having understood your _Fresnel group of node (subctract, divide, etc. :no:), but it is OK, I’ll study upon it. This definitely helps a lot. ciao

Hi Ricky, thank you veyr much. Could you share with me the blend file of this test? It’d be very useful.

sorry did not see thread update

here is file

happy bl

Attachments

zvell1.blend (251 KB)

Thank you very much! It helps a lot.

@irongraft the node groups are based on the tutorials by Cynicat on youtube, you should check them out.

Start with this one, he explains the theory behind PBS, and how to create some very handy node groups to use in your materials

Thanks. I’ll look at it! Very kind!