realistic backyard, need some good critic and advice - Harsh critic wanted

hey guys so im trying to make a realistic backyard and I dont think I can go any further on my own.

Hope for some good advice and harsh critic so I can grow as an artist. cheers[ATTACH=CONFIG]408587[/ATTACH]

Hm. Nothing really stands out as unrealistic to me. I suppose the roof tiles look a bit too clean - maybe you could dirty them up with a texture.

There also seems to be nothingness on either side of the building. Feels empty to me. Maybe more trees, a telephone pole, or some buildings back there would help?

hey jeepster thx for the feedback i did a rerender , what do u think now ?

Grass looks too even, there are no leafs on the grass even though the trees seem to be decaying (the majority of them should be near the tree), the scene looks a bit too dark, fence looks a bit flat (try a bumpmap or displace), repeating texture can be seen on the bricks and it looks pretty flat and something weird is going on with the plant in the right corner of the fence.

Hope his helps.

The second one does seem like an improvement. The main things to work on is giving the image a focus, and adding ‘grunge’. For focus, just use “the rule of thirds” particularly for the red toy - turn on the ‘thirds’ in the ‘composition’ drop down of the ‘display’ settings for your camera properties and put that toy at the intersection of the third lines. For grunge - add some to the toy, the grass should be worn under the swing, and use a large texture on the (particle system?) to make the grass patchy. I’d consider adding a few weeds/stalks growing around the edges of the lawn and places where the lawn mower can’t reach (in the gaps in the fence for example). Overlaying a large scale texture or two on the fence (with displace and bump maps as suggested), might help to break up the repeating textures. Some stains or mossy areas could be expected in places around the edges of the fence and building. And do put some dead leaves under the shrubs. One last thing, moving the sun might help make for more interesting shadows…

Yes, the grass is much too featureless. I’d add some bare patches under the swings and in random locations, a few weeds poking up along the edges, fallen leaves under the trees, and maybe consider a somewhat randomly placed water hose and sprinkler on the left half. The children’s sled also looks too clean, so perhaps add a few scuff marks and dirt.

It’s a very nice scene. One thing I would point out is that I see the same texture being used on the wood posts. The leaves seem to be a bit big for the trees and bushes in the scene (I recommend either sizing them down or adding a alpha-mapped tree on the side to give it a shadow like there is something that can produce those big of leaves.) The roof does seem a bit bland and can use a different texture which I saw someone else point out. Other than that it is a really good looking scene. Keep up the good work :yes: