Can I Pop out a 3D View in a new Window?

Here is a really strange question…

But the modules in Blender like the 3D view, properties, library, timeline, dopesheet, and things like that that you can usually make as many as you want of by dragging the corners…

Those Modules, can you pop one of them out into it’s own separate window?

I’m sure there is many ways to make that function really useful, but what i was thinking of was for recording time lapsed videos of creating things and having a camera view on my 2nd monitor that is animated to very slowly fly around the model so that i could also record that while i was modeling to get a 3rd person like view for just a little bit of flair to add to the video.

1 Like

Hold down shift when you split a view by dragging a corner marker
Or use the View / ‘Duplicate Area into New Window’ menu item

2 Likes

Shift drag the corner.

Take care

1 Like

a much better suggestion would be to just drag blender across all the monitors and split the viewport from there. i do that all the time and is one of the things i think is so strong about blender.

That only works if you have a rectangular monitor setup. If you have 3 next to each other and a single one above the center monitor this doesn´t work.
Or if you have a rectangular setup but don´t want Blender to be on all monitors because you need the 4th monitor for Photoshop/References/Reddit.

if you want to use the 4th monitor for PS then jsut dont drag blender over that monitor.
i did not consider the fact that a monitor might be placed above a row of 2 or 3. all though i doubt he has that as that is not a common setup. but if that is the case then windows might be the best solution indeed.

If you have 4 screens setup in a 2 by 2 array and want to use 3 monitors for Blender and the 4th for something else I can´t see how dragging would work.

The row of 3 + 1 above is actually quite good. I´ve ben using it for quite a while and am quite happy with it. Having 4 in a row makes the radius of the “screen circle” too large, imo. The one above the center is perfect for placing stuff you need less often, like the System Console, Layer Manager, Graph Editor or whatever.

Or if you have different sized monitors or if you use OSX where multi monitor support can be garbage