Importing bone weight from .py rig from sfm into blender?

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been answered before, I searched but couldn’t find anything on it. I’m new to blender, tried to import some sfm models using crowbar and QTFedit, and that worked out fine, but while the models have skeletons, the skeletons aren’t assigned any weights. If I’m not mistaken, the weights are included in the .py rig file that comes with the sfm model, but I can’t figure out how to use it. Opening the .py in the text editor gives a script errors.

Is there any way to do this? Or would I have to just use automatic weights in blender and redo the weight painting myself.
Thank you.

When you decompile using Crowbar, the skeleton (armature) is exported with the model. If that model is a static prop, there will only be 1 bone. If it is a character type model, the armature will be complete from the bip_pelvis down to the bip_toe_R and the bip_pinky_3 finger bone (if the model has them). The decompiled model will carry with it the weights that were in the valve model. It has nothing to do with a .py file in SFM.

Crowbar will produce the SMD files that make up the model. You import those to Blender using the Blender Source Tools Import function.