No longer a member of blenderguru.com

I saw the need of changing my post. Because some users are unproffesional. If you “open your moth” to say something, there is allways a user that comments in a unproffesional way. I am tired of these trolls, so no more posting in BA Forum about what I feel or mean. Will try to help new users tough.

The title was also wrong, should be " No longer subscribing to blender guru mails"

OK, so you’re not a fanboy and you’re not a member of his mailing list. Anything else you want to tell us your not in regards to Mr Price? It’s a little, well, odd to be fixated on how much you’re not fixated on him :wink:

Well, I suppose it’s not really surprising… His last blog post was… rather negative, particularly in regards to BlenderArtists.org.

That said, I believe the gist of his post is to improve yourself and not grow stagnant. I just think he formulated it poorly :slight_smile:

well, we can like it or not, but he just said the truth. Not a Price fanboy, but I totally agree with what he said. Then you can take it as a constructive idea and try to take the best out of it, or you can take as an offence to the blender community and close yourself in it :slight_smile:

a selfclaimed “guru” loathing fresh beginners and his followers of the cult which is made around him?
nothing new under the sun.

all of this should be posted in the OFF-topic Chat.

Looking objectively I don’t see a problem with Price’s aforementioned blog post. He stated an observation without insulting anyone or any community, took the time to explain it eloquently, and suggested solutions.

If anyone offended by that blog post, then that is that person’s internal issue.

I think that Andrew is just superior to us all. From his UI proposals to the superior art. Its best for him to brake ties with Blender and BF community as soon as he can. So he can grow even more.

Lets help him move out faster if that is his wish.

I find that article pretty stupid. I mean you can say that for every app specific forum. Maybe Zbrushcentral is crazy good and does not fit that… However his point is good, do not stack just to one forum and community, but really if the one who owns business like BlenderGuru just realized it … Damn.

I don’t like the art posted here and the attitude towards it too, that’s why I stopped posting mine entirely. I just visit the first two subforums for some news.

It’s great that you want to give newbies and other members a morale boost but you’re doing it wrong with all that mindless praise. On the other hand if you provide some constructive criticism the thread starter will suddenly disappear so I guess it is just the way Blender users are. I guess mediocrity is pretty much a given with free software for both users and developers as I’ve seen the same several times before. I’m looking at you GIMP, Krita and Inkscape.

You know what I am far from a fan of Andrew but I think you all seriously misread his article. I suggest you all calm down re-read it and have an open mind, then you might actually understand what he is actually saying.

I happen to agree with him 100%. If you want your art to improve, absolutely do yourself a favor and expand the number of sites that you visit and post your work to.

You need to be consistently exposed to what really good artist at the top of their games are doing and the level and quality of work the put out.

Something the new blenderartist users might not be aware of was that a few years back when cgtalk had a much stricter moderation for their finished work forum. People would post art here(blenderartist) and it would get praised and would get generally positive comments. The artists would then post the same work on cgtalk were the criticism would be harsh and it would sometimes be bounced back to work in progress. This often lead to hilarious and erroneous accusations that cgtalk had it out for Blender.

The truth is that, in a really small pond a guppy can fool himself into thinking he is a shark. I used to think I was the shit at car modeling until I visited cgcars and smcars, I also thought I was the shit at 2d concept art until conceptart.org took a pin to my ego balloon.

If you want your sculpting to improve keep an eye out on zbrush central, your 2d art then conceptart should be bookmarked, 3d art then cgtalk, 3dtotal should be sites you visit often, if you are into game art then polycount should become your new muse.

The art on blenderartist has really gotten better but guess what, a lot of really good artist don’t post their work here and you do yourself a disservice if you only compare your work to what you see here. The guppy syndrome will definitely put a brake to your progress.

Not sure why you quoted me :stuck_out_tongue:

Apart from using a lot less words, I pretty much said what you did :slight_smile:

Put your roots down where you feel most comfortable, interact with the people you enjoy, educate and inspire you and you’re work will benefit from it. Prune too much and the plant will die. Be yourself.

Blenderartists is a community to learn about Blender in all aspects, not just artistically. So I am grateful for all users who have learned and have become good artists and with good knowledge about Blender, but have not forgotten their origins and still frequently visit the forums to continue helping new users.

Considering so far this year there has been two threads that happened at almost the same time where a significant amount of this community was split on the issue of child/adult sexual relations. (I consider more then one member who is pro kiddy pron to be significant) And several threads where copyright came up and people seemed unwilling to even give a thought for a moment of doing research to at least be familiar with the laws around copyright so they can make informed decisions.

Well I can’t quite blame him on his stance on the community here. Its an alright place to go for a technical answer to a blender problem. But aside from that I find that there is a lack of diminishing returns on most parts of the forums. I mean lets be real, If you point out to an admin that the local laws of your country takes a dim view on the topic of dicks being shown around children and their response is to indicate that they are not a lawyer, Then what does that say about where the bar is set for the community?

By the way, in addition to visiting cg community sites (which I think is a good recommendation) it is good also visit sites about photography for those more interested in realism. Seeing good sites about photography I learned that fog/mist/smoke and chromatic aberrations are not as usual as occurs in the cg community :slight_smile:

Just my 2 cents … I read the article, and it immediately left a bad taste in my mouth for a number of reasons. But at the same time
I am not disputing some of the points he made. You can painfully realize how far you still have to go on your learning curve by visiting
other art forums. You can gain inspiration from them as well which hopefully will encourage you to continue your quest to get better.

Andrew would not have any kind of real following, had it not been for this site … and for the life of me, I don’t know what he was thinking in the way he worded certain things in this article.

The truth is that on average, the blender community is producing art at a lower quality than the larger cg community

I don’t know what sites people go to who are learning to use 3ds max, Maya, zbrush ect… but I can guarantee you there must be beginner art there just like at this site.

He’s correct in that there are a larger amount of people who turn to Blender because of it being free, I certainly did. When you look at the ridiculous cost of ALL this commercial graphic software you can understand why.

There are many tremendous artists on this site who are every bit as talented as you see on these other sites, and they continue to grow in bigger numbers. Sadly some of them leave most likely due to the ridiculous flame wars that pop up often here. One only has to look at the Cosmo thread.

I would encourage you to take a look at sites linked below. You will see tons of creative, beautiful and inspiring 3d art. But I’ll tell you what you won’t find, is any kind of sense of community. Look closely at the number of views and the lack of comments about these professional art work…it’s pathetic. I agree that you will be inspired, but I totally disagree, that your going to find any sense of community that can help you technically improve your chops at these sites…especially as it relates to Blender.

Right now on this forum, I can post a question about something I don’t understand or am struggling with and I’ll get it answered. I can reach out 10 or so people I know at this site, and they will help get me to where I need to go. That’s what I am referring to as a community.

There is absolutely a lot of beginners at this site, and the artwork looks exactly like mine did when I first started. I hope when you
can that you will take the time to help some of those people through your critiques and more experienced advice.

I have learned a lot from Andrews tutorials over the years and he does an excellent job with the tutorials. I can’t blame him one bit for getting into his commercial endeavors. I would love to see Andrews art which has been inspired from these “more professional sites”

cgsociety

CGarchitect

Judge! And make him right again. Until you understand reason for the fat of the land. Politics rule & religion can save your ego.

You know if you don’t want to comment, or that I irritate you. so restain yourself from commenting. Just wanted to get out some steam with my “friends” at blender artist but maybe they arn’t.

Before October 2013 I was using MODO, before that 3DS Max, the main reason for being interested in Blender was Price’s tutorials. Fixated on him, not at all. But he have been a important name in the Blender community. I don’t want to sink to your level Btoolput by attacking you back.

the paradoksal here is maybe Andrew is right after all, maybe the BA forum is for unproffesionals like you? but I hope I am wrong.

You left? Oh well. You never needed to pay him anyway. Personally he has done his part for community and obviously wants money. Making money off a personal movie project is way better than selling blender weed. Sends a good message as well to his users to evolve past a folder full of careful tuts.

In fairness to this community. This is where people go to learn. This forum is in effect a classroom filled with first year art students. Most of whom have a job,career,family,house…life that is not CG. There is a significant amount of this community who hopes to use blender to help springboard their career into the wonderful world of CG.
But by and large the people here are using art to enrich their already full life.

But also in all fairness. With some of the reputation this community has, I do have reservations about indicating blender as the software I use.