RWBY Ruby Rose WIP

Hi there. I’m really new to blender and would like some feedback on something I’ve been working on for a week or so.
I really love the show RWBY, and I am trying to recreate the main character, Ruby. This is what I have so far:

Attachments

Wait, Nevermind about the image size. I Got it.

Ugh. I really need help. No matter how many times I try, I just cantget the skirt right! Can anyone give me tips?(Remember that I’m a newbie. And I’m also 12.)

Nice boots. I love the show RWBY as well and am interested in seeing how this turns out. However, if you’re going to model Ruby (or any person for that matter), you should start with her body first before you model her clothes.

Okay, thanks, I’ll do that.

So. I totally ignored your advice (I’m really sorry) and made the clothes without the body. I hit the freestyle button just cause Rwby is pretty much freestyled.

Progress! Yeah!

No problem. If modeling the clothes first works for you, then do what works for you. So far, it looks good, except the freestyle lines on the shoes look out of place. Glad to see an update, especially with season 3 currently going on right now.

You had to pick someone with a combat skirt, didn’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, I would’ve started with Blake; nothing on her looks too terribly difficult to model.
So, freestyle? I know that’s not what Monty did, but that’s more or less because Poser doesn’t have something similar.

Modeling the skirt with all of those ruffles is going to be… A pain, to say the least.

If you’re looking for tips on how to get the shading right, you should check out the Blender NPR group on facebook.

Interested to see how this turns out!

Thanks. I know the shoe lines look out of place, and that’s because I didn’t mess with the freestyle settings at all, I just checked the box. I’ll probably do that later. Thanks for your support!

Whoa! Gray Silhouette! This is so cool! I’ve been following your Broken World WIP for a while, and I find it really inspirational, seeing the progress. Regarding your statement about freestyle in Poser, I believe Monty actually did the “Freestyle” Lines in Maya, as part of the object, and not the scene. You can actually see this when there are things that are not freestyled, such as Pyrrha’s gun-spear-thingy. (I can’t remember if it is Milo or Akouo)

Glad you like my work!

If I recall correctly, the way Monty did it was by taking the model, and making an all black duplicate model that is slightly larger than the original, then making the original model always appear in front of the all black one, giving the appearance of an outline. There’s a word for it, I can’t remember what is it though!

Sorry, I’ve been making a lot of progress, and I have forgotten to tell you about it! I found a better alternative to Freestyling, and have discovered the toon shader!

Definitely better than I expected of myself on my first head modeling attempt, but still not as good as I would like it to be as the finished product.
The alternative to freestyling that I found was more RWBY-like was the “edge” option in “Post Processing” in the render tab of the properties menu.
Yeah, that’s about all I have for you right now.

[video]https://youtu.be/IKpZpiwvnYE[/video]
Lowered the eyes for a better, slightly more anime-ish look.

There’s something off about the face. I don’t know what it is. Help.

Also, I discovered something in blender that is extremely similar to what Monty did.
[video]https://youtu.be/D4T1cDJryOI[/video]

That technique in the video looks interesting, but won’t using the solidify modifier double your polygon count and slow everything down? It doesn’t seem as bothersome if you use a low poly build, but I don’t see anything that it can do better that freestyle cannot. I might be wrong on this, so feel free to correct me if I am.

That is a really cool edge shading technique you linked there. I hadn’t seen that before!

It outlines the object in real-time.

In addtion to the realtime outlines (which are awesome!) it actually renders faster than freestyle when setup as a cycles shader.

I rendered a test scene with about a million polys, check it out:

freestyle outlines: 37.12 seconds

cycles outlines: 20.20 seconds

It also keeps the outlines scaled correctly when they are farther away. I know that freestyle can adjust the width of the stroke based on distance to camera, but it’s a little fiddly to setup. this gives you wysiwyg edge outlines with minimal speed impact. It does take longer for cycles to render with double the geometry, but freestyle takes much more time to process half that amount, on top of the time it still takes cycles to render.

Downsides:

• memory consumption: twice the geometry, twice the memory
  • not as much control over edges: no crease detection (crease was disabled in the freestyle render above for a fairer performance comparison

Overall, I think it’s an awesome technique. I’m definitely going to be using this in the future.

Hello, all. I’m sorry about not updating a while. I haven’t worked on it much. I’ve gotten into stick figure animations, such as the ones found on stickpage and Hyun’s Dojo. However, I still plan on finishing this. I think I’m gonna redo the head.