No, no mcdonalds does not make you fat

You make yourself fat

I am so sick of people trying to divert the blame of something they did to a corporation rather than taking it

This stems far beyond just burgers unfortunately,

Honestly if a consumer is so incompetent,impatient,lazy,etc that they can’t even scroll down the page and read reviews or even just to look right to see the “MIXED” or “Mostly Negative”
Then he got what’s coming to him

Much like Mcdonalds,

YOU made the choice to go ahead and order 3 burgers in a day/week knowing the risks, the information is out there
therefore
YOU are to blame for your own problems

Don’t go looking for somebody else to blame for your own decisions,

There was no deception.
There was no confusion either
You were just too ignorant to do some research/too careless/too weak to resist temptation

Technically, too much of anything can be bad for you. The key for a lot of things is moderation, and that would indeed include not going to fast food places every day (or even every other day).

Another issue with food studies is that eventually you might see other studies later on that completely contradict the earlier ones. I would note one example where it was once thought that eggs were bad for you (and now we hear of their potential benefits and why you should consume them), and now we might be seeing the same cycle starting again (this time with meat).

Yeah dietary recommendations change all the time and it’s hard to label something as good or bad when for the most part a lot of things are good or neutral for some and bad for others often with genes playing the deciding factor.

U.S. poised to withdraw longstanding warnings about cholesterol in diet

Meanwhile the World Health Organization recently decided that red meat is a class 1 carcinogen, lumping it in with tobacco, and raises your risk of cancer by 18%.

It should be noted that the class 1 classification is not used to rate how carcinogenic a substance is, bit how sure the WHO is that it causes cancer.

How Red Meat Joined the 478 Other Things That Might Give You Cancer

As for McDonald’s, they’re just giving the people what they want. Market research indicates that people want cheap food and want it fast so McDonald’s is there to provide that to them. It’s not particularly healthy, but that’s why it’s cheap.

McDonald’s is finding their business model is becoming less sustainable because the market is shifting. People want healthier foods these days, but aren’t willing to pay higher prices at the drive through which puts McDonald’s in a a bit of a quagmire. They can deliver healthy food or they can deliver cheap food, but not both.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually hear that everything eventually causes cancer (because it’s not going to matter how remote that chance remains after the risk is raised, like in this case it may not matter if it’s from the meat itself or from the modern-day practices for raising animals such as the usage of antibiotics).

Cellphones cause cancer, sitting at your desk is killing you, typing on the keyboard to discuss this topic on this forum probably had detrimental effects as well. It’s basically science gone mental and every promoter of all possible agendas tend to have their own ‘scientists’ ready to do ‘studies’ to support their cause (it’s not simply about facts anymore).

I agree, increasingly it seems that if you want to live a life with the lowest possible risk of cancer you need to cut out everything even remotely enjoyable which only then raises your risk of suicide. We’re all gonna check out one way or another, I guess you just wanna find that middle ground where your life’s not too short, but also not too dull.

I’m not entirely sure, as OP was somewhat ambiguous in his wordings (if not entirely misleading :P), but I think - while he was still indignated about people’s attitude towards McD - his real beef is with the video and how it clamours for Steam and Valve to be more exclusive in it’s choices of new programs and games :stuck_out_tongue:

But this dietary tangent is fun too ^^

@Breag

Mostly on point but eh

My beef is how people just try to blame somebody other than themselves for bad purchases

“Oh I gained 30 kilos… I went to Mcdonalds 9 times this week and ordered big macs with large sodas… BLAME MCDONALDS,THEY MADE ME FAT”

“Oh this game on steam sucks…I bought it… BLAME VALVE”

You are blaming a weak person for liking sugar in water & forgiving a company for making consumers addicts?!?
They make you consume junk, crap, garbage, shit! They are based on a lie. They make you pay for it, even for packaging, bureaucracy, vacations and the production line!!!
It is flavor which is obviously FAKE, a LIE!
It is you who is the product!
They are blame for making human FAT!

Get real.

Humm… There’re alternatives to buying the junk, but I grant you, they are the more expensive alternative.

Most processed food today is filled with additives and sugar, and buying organic is expensive. It’s not impossible, though :slight_smile:

So while corporations are evil, there’re alternatives to being the victim.

I’ve seen this behavior of young people that still sport and aren’t fat.

Then they get older, get a shitty job and no time for sports. They get fat and now it’s alright to have a belly.

Stress and lack of time for yourself makes you fat. Lack of sleep makes you hungry. There are many factors why you eat more than you need to.

One thing is that constant commercials of food changes how you think. North Korean people are brain washed with huge posters and statues of their leader that they think he is some kind of hero to the country.

Except for one thing,
they don’t “make” you pay for it

You made yourself pay for it

Unless there is some sort of new trick that magically wipes your brain that makes you buy their products,
really
it’s your fault

Burnin; People are always looking for that next big adventure in taste and the companies respond. The reason why those foods take off is because people try them and proclaim to the world that you just ‘have’ to try it. Companies have also stopped producing some junk-food items because people aren’t indulging themselves with it anymore (and now we’re seeing a slow move away from artificial substances because that is what consumers are demanding).

Besides that, sugar has been around long before the dawn of modern industry (it comes from a plant after-all), the same with a lot of the other savory spices and flavors that are used.

It’s called “advertising”. Also known as propaganda. It has been known to persuade or assuage people’s minds to think a certain way.

There is sugar and there is processed sugars. And some of those processed sugars are an utter bitch for your body to process and handle. But at the end of the day my choice is do I eat pizza or do I steam some veggies and grill some meat. I go both ways on that.

If things like commercials and billboards are wrong, then how else are companies supposed to announce new products to the masses (because word of mouth is simply not efficient for wide-scale product launches)?

Also, not all advertising is mere propaganda and by extension completely false (which that post can be seen as a generalization), there’s nothing wrong with advertising that simply gives details on what the product does and what it can do for you (or in the case of food, tell what it is in it and why you might want to try it).

Yeah, that’s why i support movement to note ads & photos with the mark or sign of visual manipulations… consumer has the right to know if an image is processed photograph or not. Same as food. Ingredients should be specified. There are laws that prohibit lying - selling pig meat as cows. Some have become terrorists when finding the truth.
Am all for fair play and no judgements… who are you to blame based on looks?

they don’t “make” you pay for it

You MUST pay! Any other action is called stealing, not rent, not borrowing, not using… even though in reality you only process complex elements and make them less complex (eat food, drop mud) in order to exist. You have nothing else to choose from. You should know, human living by the Nile.

I think he’s meaning that it’s not like McDonalds is forcing you to order and eat a Big Mac at gunpoint (neither is it the case with any other business).

It’s called having a sense of discretion, it’s not the job of the business to coddle them and protect them from their lack of judgement.

Some people respond poorly to any implication that they have accountability for their own actions.

First of all, I suspect that we will ultimately discover that cancer is caused by a virus. Or, something like it. After all, until the HIV virus was discovered we didn’t know that a virus could target the immune system.

As far as McDonald’s is concerned, I never eat at places like that. It’s much easier to go to the deli section of a local grocery store. Have them make you a sandwich.

As far as “losing weight” is concerned:

• Eat better food, and a wider variety of foods. (“Eat your vegetables!” :rolleyes:)
  • Eat more slowly. Enjoy the moment.
  • Get off the couch. Find something that you like to do outside. (For instance, I love to take long walks. I might find myself walking two or three miles a day, thinking about things, clearing my mind, and thoroughly enjoying it.)
  • Wait a year. It will take that long.

Strange as it may seem, many overweight people are malnourished. As any veterinarian knows, if a horse does not get proper nutrition, he will start eating the wood of his stall, a problem known as “cribbing.” The snack-food industry calls it “the munchies.” If your body knows that it needs something and doesn’t have it, it will drive you to eat … something. (Also, and a great deal more mysteriously, if you walk slowly around the produce section, you might spot something and feel a strong urge to buy and eat it. Follow those instincts. “Trust your gut.”)

Another suggestion: learn to cook! It’s fun, actually. You’ll find that you can start with simple ingredients and cook-up something that is far better than anything you can get frozen in a box. (The only thing that’s good about frozen prepared foods is the picture on the outside of the very-expensive box.)

Fast food is probably not the healthiest option, at the same time birthday cake isn’t exactly brimming with whole grains either, but that doesn’t mean you need to completely eliminate it from your diet. I just had some fast food earlier, probably the first time I’ve had fast food in a year, and it was quite tasty.

Like Ace said I don’t think fast food will kill anyone in moderation. Although McDonald’s would likely do a good deal of downsizing if everyone started treating it like an occasional indulgence because today fast food is a staple of so many diets. For many it’s not just every day, but every meal.

While marketing probably plays some role in that my guess is that the bigger contributing factor is the fast paced lifestyle here in the states. People often find it hard to make time to cook. Especially with hour, or even half hour, lunch breaks options are limited.