[Addon] Objects Library Manager

Another addon to manage the scene using layers not having the 20 blender layers limitations.

You can create as many layers as you want and do some operations over the objects connected with those layers. Also, every layer can be linked to a blender layer (or not) so you can see only the layers related to the visible blend layer and keep everything under control.

download from: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwp61yno3beiue5/vtools_objectsLayerManager.py?dl=0

thanks!

very very cool job!!

Great Job! Thank You! :slight_smile:

That looks really nice!

ooooooh yeah.

Thanks to everyone.
If you think it could improved in any way (features or ui) just let me know :slight_smile:

Nice Job :slight_smile:

once again can I suggest having the selected objects name that is displayed in the 3d window, suffixed with what layer it is on. I suggested this with the present layer manager that is included with blender and was told that it was impossible to do.

Just wanted to say thank you for this addon. I really like how simple and straightforward it is, and the nice conceptual division between object and scene layers. It’s making my job easier, so thanks!

Salokin: Thanks for such a kind words :).

Shaba1.
Do you mean display the name and the layer prefix in the 3D window when “Display->Name” is active?. I would not like to do that, as it will need to override a blender internal functionality…

What I was thinking to do is display the objects within each “opened” (that would be a new concept) layer. And I could add a button to display only layers which include the selected objects. Would it suits any of your needs?

Cheers!

Thank you Shaba1. It is very helpful script. More as 20 layers is very nice ( magic layers has unlimited layers also).
“Move layers” function is very good for custom organisation of layers. It looks that you are using your mind for better comfort of Blender UI . Blender has not this one in Outline manager or Render layer manager. It is very frustrating. I hope that Blender core developers will study your script and will change Outliner and Render layer manager.

Thanks Vertigos! I used Your addon for a couple of days and it has improved my workflow. I can better organize objects in a bigger scene now. An acces to blender tools is a real pain though, the tabs doesn’t do its job as they grow all the time. The shortcuts and pie menus help much. I think a work is much easier when you have tools in front of you and forget about left and right shelf.

I start to use popups windows (screens) and feel much better with them. I’ve tried to modify your addon to be invoked as a screen popup but I am not programmer and stopped im halfway.

I’d like to ask whether You want to develop your addon that can have a such screen feature? I could even donate You because as I mention it improve my everyday work

Below is a printscreen of what I’ve done with Your script. The problem is that I do not know how ‘to refresh’ screen so it can be updated every time You press a button for example an add or delete layer (and without exiting screen window)

Hello Dezet,

sorry for the delay, I have been a bit busy these days.
I will take a look on it and I’ll let you know if it can be done :slight_smile:

Cheers and thanks!

Hi guys! Sorry to revive this old thread but I can’t install the add-on. I’m trying to installing it from file, the console says that it’s installed but I can’t see it inside the add-on list and it’s a no show on the interface.
Working with blender 2.77 and the Layer Management Add-on installed (could they conflict between each other?)

Hello Mattakkione,

I will take a look on this with the latest Blender version, maybe there is something to change.
Anyway, I never use install from file, I use to copy the script directly within the addon folder.

I am amending the painting script (which has been waiting for a long) and I will take a look on this when that is done :).

Cheers!

Hi Vertigos!

Thank you for your fast reply :slight_smile:

I tried to move it inside the add-on folder and to run it in the text console but I had the syntax error warning.

It could be great if you could make it work in 2.78. But I can still use it in 2.76 so don’t worry :slight_smile:

The dropbox link no longer works, any news regarding this addon? looks like a useful one to have.

Here is a link to it:

https://github.com/meta-androcto/blenderpython/blob/master/scripts/addons_extern/vtools_objectsLayerManager.py

I have crated a fork of this addon and combining some of the functionality from another addon - super_grouper, where toggling visible/invisible layers places the object temporarily on another scene, so it works independent from outliner visibility/render visibility.

Link to the thread: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?439908-A-layer-manager-fork-with-best-functions-from-objects-layer-manager-and-super-grouper