before the rain

Hi everybody, first post here.
Here’s a little project I’ve been working on over the last week - blender/cycles, textures done in substance painter, procedural cloud shader from http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/76516.
All the other materials were built on CynicatPro’s PBR shading series https://www.youtube.com/user/CynicatPro/videos.

I really would love to render out a print version, but rendertimes are way too long (this was rendered via RayPump in 15 hours)…

Have fun!

Amazingly beautiful! Man, what great shaders. thanks for sharing

Beautiful image. I would suggest that the lighting on the sides is decreased to direct the viewer’s eyes to the center more effectively.

Also, you could split the image up and render that way- could save some time :slight_smile:

That looks so amazing! Love the idea! And beautifully pulled off, too :smiley:

That’s great! Cool idea and execution!

Really nicely executed! If you want to have faster render time, you can render background separately from the Cloud and then recombine them later in post.

Thanks all for the positive comments! I’ve been looking a lot into different strategies to pull off a hires render (tiled rendering, rendering some elements seperately, etc…). For now I think I’ll just wait and hope that some day in the future Cycles volumetric rendering will see a significant speed boost. If I had more time I would love to dive into the code myself, but there’s still my day job :wink:

Ok, something’s wrong here… First post is gone, also my reply…

Thank you for the suggestion - I had previous versions with less lighting on the sides but preferred the one I posted. It was too much contrast for my taste. I think I could have spent a lot more time to play with the lighting, on the other hand there are a ton of other projects I want to finish desperately so I called it done.

This is nice!

This is absolutely wonderful from concept to shaders. Bravo!

The cloud possibilities in cycles are really getting to be amazing… but man render times are painful… I was hoping (upon seeing your amazing image) that you or someone else had a key to improving… I love the look, but it’s expensive to achieve!

rcgauer - thanks! Unfortunately I have no solution for the long render times :frowning: After spending countless hours on optimizing and reseaching I gave up and ended up sending my files to a renderfarm…

I love the simplistic arrangement of the scene.
Is the lightning generated in Blender or is it done in post?

The lightning is modelled in blender. At first I tried an addon to generate it but wasn’t happy with the results.

Simply perfect!

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én D6603-el