Where to begin!

Hi Blender community!

Sorry if my question or thread is out of place, I’m new here and incredibly new to Blender and 3D modeling. My reason for downloading Blender is because I am wanting to create 3D vinyl toy models (pretty much exactly like this - http://www.shinbonecreative.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Wandering-Misfits-Group-Shot-01.jpg). Even just front face models not even full 360 degree models.
I know Photoshop like the back of my hand and have been creating my 3D art digitally by hand there (I am now simply looking to take it a step further with Blender and try my hand at creating ‘real’ 3D models - not just painted ones). I’ve already figured out the interface of Blender and I think I’ll be able to pick it up relatively easily and get my head around it all just enough to achieve what I need. But my question is, to create a model like this, which component of Blender should I be focusing on (watching tutorials about etc.) because I know ‘3D’ is broad and words like animation, rigging, scripts, uv lighting, 3D sculpting etc. are all thrown around a lot which to a newbie like me is a bit overwhelming so I don’t which component to invest time in. I’d hate to spend ages learning a component such as animation only to realise I really didn’t need it! - at this point anyways in my endeavour.

I am just looking to create a 3D vinyl model like the example above (from scratch or even from an image I’ve previously made), have it lit realistically to make it look wonderfully 3D, and have it textured (shaders?) awesomely in a variety of fun ways (like metal, glass etc.). And then bring it back into Photoshop and have some more fun with it. Will Blender allow me to do this and where do I start!

Thank you guys :slight_smile:

Sculpting is most straightforward route. Cgcookie has some great tutorials on the matter. ZBrush or Sculptris might be better for you you find Blender too hard.

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling”

Off the top of my head, this is what you’ll need to get you on your way.

• Setting up Background images in the Viewport (works only in Ortho Views). In case you’re working using references
  • Skin Modifier (to build the basic shape)
  • Sculpting. I recommend Dyntopo over MultiRez. Learn how to avoid blobiness.
  • Boolean Modifier (for trimming and such)
  • Edit Mode (poly modeling tools and workflows). A lot of the shapes are easier to poly model than make a clean sculpt.

Poly Modeling is the most extensive of all, and I’d save that for the end. Have fun with sculpting and get comfortable with translating forms from your 2D designs to 3D. You can spend a lot of time practicing that. Once you feel comfortable with that, you can tackle Poly Modeling and what you need to do from a technical aspect in order to print your models.

Oh yeah, and have fun! :slight_smile:

Can’t ignore the basics, these will help in whatever the task