Weight paint mode: Object pink and uneditable

Greetings,

I need to rework a character model for our recently greenlit game. I tried to enhance the weight painting, but the whole object shows up pink and uneditable in weight paint mode.

• I unparented the object from the rig.
  • I deleted all vertex groups.
  • I duplicated the object.
  • I separeted parts of the object.
  • I tried the solution of this forums, and checked/fixed/deleted the “N”-Panel -> Vertex Weights of all vertices.

-> Always the same result, the object remains pink. The animations work well though.

• Other objects in the scene are editable as normal.
  • Adding a cube (f.e.) in edit mode to the object, makes the cube pink aswell.

Is this a know bug?
Is there any other way fixing the problem besides redoing the whole character.
Since I’m a game designer, I’d have no problem with dirty workarounds … :smiley:

I thought about copying the vertices into another object, but I couldn’t yet figure out, how to do that.

Thanks in advance,
Korahan

Is this a know bug?
90% chance it is user error.

In weight paint mode ensure you have not enabled face or vertex selecting masking (icons on header) enabled but not selected any faces/vertices

Supply a demo blend file for review

I hope so too, cause it would mean, it’s easily fixed.

No selection masking is enabled.

Here is a screenshot:

http://www2.pic-upload.de/thumb/28567234/pinkness.png

(The head is not part of the object, since we switch our costumes.)

Thanks for your time!

Nope, thats not the problem. :-/

As I said previously

Supply a demo blend file for review

I’ve attached the file. :slight_smile:

In case it works for you, I assure you, that I double-checked it before uploading, and it didnt work.

For the demo I appended the object to an empty scene … where it worked perfectly. I then re-appended it to the original file, where it went pink again.
So i decided to delete everything but the problematic object - otherwise the file had 30mb.

With kind regards,
Korahan

Attachments

SandraProblemDemo.blend (1.18 MB)

Pink colour - change to solid view

Add vertex paint (change blend mode from Subtract to something like Add)

Shockingly easy. Never thought about the display method… Thanks a lot!

One last question:
Why only this object?
For all other objects in the scene, the weight painting is working in textured display too. Why is this different?

Pink colour indicates missing textures

Yes, that is true - I know it, since I used Blender for 3 years almost every day. The problem is - I’m not missing the texture. I have 10.000 rendered images of animations, made whithin this very file. And all show up the texture. Even today, I rendered some changes on an animation for the team. When I changed the mode to edit or object, it showed up the texture. The only mode, showing an all pink object, was weight paint.

I mean, even on the screenshot, you can see, the model is textured in fact.

Is it possible, the weight paint mode was kind of “not up to date”, so i forced it to reload and update the texture by switching the display method once?

Ah well , if I where you, I wouldn’t believe a single word of what I wrote. :smiley: Just someone, who isn’t able to confess his idiotic mistake, haha!

But that’s not important.
It works now. Thanks a lot!

Korahan

PS: For the sake of testing, I deleted the texture and switched to weight paint mode. It works perfectly fine even without texture … Now I’m hopelessly confused.