How would you hide the cracks in Cell Fracture?

I’ve asked the question on the Blender Stack Exchange (Link To The Question) but I didn’t get the answer I was looking for so I thought I would ask here. So in this video made by Phymec (Link To Video) in the first example with the text you can see no cracks in the text; all solid. When the letter ‘P’ hits the floor you can see the bottom of the P breaks into shards but in the top of the ‘P’ you can still see no cracks. Whenever I try to create this with cell fracture and bullet constraints as soon as the corner hits the floor the rest of the object turns into cracks and shards.

Is there anyway to achieve the effect I’m looking for?

I don’t mind if it’s another addon with you need to do this or if it doesn’t use cell fracture or bullet constraints, I don’t mind. As long as I get the effect I’m looking for.

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

if the pieces are rigid body’s then you can make them animated. make it so all the pieces are in place then add location key frame to all of them, then make a nice looking fall to the floor, for this to work, in the rigid body options menu there is a animated check box, add key frames that it is animated till it touches the ground and BOOM, it falls to peices.

hope this helps

That fixes the first problem but when it hits the floor it still explodes into pieces. How would I do it so shards only show up where it’s been hit.

Well, according to the description of the video is using “Real Time Bullet Physics”.
It seems that this is a related thread:
http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=7707

I do not know if there are out some Blender build with these components incorporated.
I can not find any tutorial about how to do it with official Blender, so I guess it’s not possible with official Blender, but not sure.

Phymec is programmer (or at least is programming too), so he did write some code to test this :wink:

Your best bet imo is Fracture Modifier with the “Remove inner Shards” (Or how it is called). (Which is based upon a thing i did with Sverchok, but it’s much easier to use his implementation in Fracture Modifier).
As well there are the Physics settings which are quite important. Increase Rigid Body World “Steps per second” and “Solver iterations” might help a lot.
The “Remove inner Shards” does a quick comparison of the Vertex centers, if two are within threshold they get “deleted”. So it is important to have a “stable” Simulation in the first place.

To use Fracture Modifier you need to download custom Blender build, mentioned in thread.

Hi bashi,

that method you describe is called “Autohide” in Fracture Modiifer. You find it in the “Fracture Utilties” Panel. It takes a small distance as input parameter, which is the threshold in blender units how close 2 adjacent face (centers) must be in order to automatically delete those 2 adjacent faces, or let them reappear (deletion happens dynamically on a mesh copy internally, and will cost some performance too).

It will look like this…

http://df-vfx.de/autohide-for-high-quality-glass-fracture/

So I need a different Blender Build to do this?

I think you could do what the video shows with fracture modifier build, an static object that is slowly cracking when it is hit by another object. I’m not sure if this could be useful for a falling object which then must be disintegrated when hitting the ground.
At least in my tests I could not make the cracks are not shown while the object fall. But maybe I’m missing something, you could try it (Downloads tab):
http://df-vfx.de/fracturemodifier/

Edit:
I just realized that this could work if you mix the techniques that have already recommended (crazyCad2502) with “Autohide” in Fracture Modiifer.