Transferring files problem?

So my old computer is nearly busted and i’ve gotten a new one and tried to migrate my blender stuff over to this new one.

I tried real hard to keep everything to having the same directory by having my main Blender folder on the desktop of the last computer, so that when i put it on the new one’s desktop, the directories should line up and thus keep all the files for textures from getting confused.

However… when i open up my characters i had made, they seem to have lost half of their rigging… in such that none of them have arms or legs… if i delete the rig, they get the mesh back… but for some reason, just the arms and legs so far of Rigify have just up and disappeared all together.

I don’t know if this has something to do with Windows 10 or the fact that the Blender on this computer is now the most recent update whereas the last computer was like… 5 versions ago or so…

anyway, i’d really like to be able to move these files from the old computer because of how it turns into a demon and crashes at random (but even sooner when loading 3D stuff)

any tips on how to safely transfer Blender project files from one to another?

the last one was windows 7, and this is windows 10 by the way.

upgraded to win 10 and did not have any problems!

how did u transfer it from one computer to the other ?

the folders should be the same and it should work!

so very strange that it affects the data in bl files !

are you changing bl version ?

happy bl

I half wonder if it is a permissions issue. I don’t know one way or another but try http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-take-ownership-add-context-menu-windows-10-a.html ((abuse at your own risk)) And see if you can solve it that way.
When transfering files from an offline system to another one sometimes you will end up with some files having a permission setting on them that the new system just don’t like.
Try that on the blender and its addons you are using and all of the associated blends, I doubt its the problem but its something I would rule out first.

Make sure “Auto Run Python Scripts” is checked under User Preferences > File > Auto Execution.
If everything else fails, download the zipped version of Blender you created the file with, unpack it into a folder alongside the corresponding files and open the files from there.

First of all, your first step should be to use the same version of blender you previously used (just to be sure).

Or, instead of opening the .blend with the new version-- have you tried appending all of the objects in a new .blend to see if the same problem occurs?

If that doesn’t work, copy over all of the old blender files and open it up with that instead, to troubleshoot: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation

Wow thank you for all the replies everyone!

Sorry i’ve had some internet issues lately, and i’ve managed to get all the limbs back! :smiley:

And even teh textures and all appear to be here!

i was trying a few of your suggestions, and… it occured to me that Rigify is actually an addon… and trying to load up something with rigify in it without rigify on may be an issue…

And at first turning it on wasn’t enough, but starting up the file with rigify as saved for user default gave me the option to reload the file as trusted. and that got them back ^-^

Sorry it was a bit of a unexciting and lame way to fix it >~o