Making UV match existing texture

Good morning, team! I have a model, and I have painted it and textured it and everything is good. Then something happens and I need to make a very slight change, say adding a vertex. This is fine, but when I unwrap the model now, it doesn’t unwrap in exactly the same way (because there’s a new vertex). Well, that’s fine, because overall my texture won’t need to change; I just need to configure the new UV map to match the old one very closely.

HOWEVER, I can’t seem to edit the UV AND see the existing texture at the same time, so I’m not sure exactly where the edges, etc. need to be. Googling this problem doesn’t help, since this only leads to a series of tutorials on how to texture an existing UV…

Any guidance would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

– chainsawpenguin –

Do you need to unwrap again just by adding a vertex ?
You can pin selected vertices in the UV editor with shortcut P

HOWEVER, I can’t seem to edit the UV AND see the existing texture at the same time,
Open the texture in the UV editor

For specific you need to supply more info (minimum comprehensive screenshots and example blend file)

Do you need to unwrap again just by adding a vertex ?

Don’t I? If I add a vertex, and it’s not part of my uv map, what will happen when it’s rendered?

When you add the vertex, if you do it by subdividing it will appear in the UV map by being subdivided into the UV layout. You can either adjust it by hand, or pin all the other vertices on the UV map and unwrap (the unwrap algorithm will not change any pinned vertices).

If you added it by placing the vertex and then filling in polygons, it’ll probably appear in a corner of the UV map (possibly with edges stretching from the old vertices to the new one on the UV screen). Same solution again though, just pin all the other vertices and re-unwrap. Only the new vertex will be moved, as long as it’s the only one not pinned.