Chris Chuipka - Sketchbook

Hey guys,

I’ve been using Blender just over a year now, and completely fell in love. I’ve tried using it multiple times in the past decade but kept feeling frustrated over the user interface, and quickly threw in the flag. It wasn’t until I started listening to Jerry Perkins (masterxeon1001) in zbrush hangouts rant about the amazing qualities of Blender, that I changed my ignorant ways. I quickly downloaded Blender and was amazed by the leaps and bounds of improvements since the 2.3 days. I immediately configured my settings similar to what I was use to in 3ds max but found it quite difficult getting things to work based on tutorials, considering everyone uses the native settings. Then I came across Jerry’s gumroad introduction to blender for Zbrush users (https://gumroad.com/masterxeon1001), and I was completely hooked. One thing he said that completely resonated with me was “I don’t go into Maya or Max asking it to behave like Blender.” So thanks Jerry! I highly recommend checking his Gumroad/YouTube out; great information with hilarious commentary.

Blender is such amazing piece of software, and I’m finally happy to be a part of this community and able to share my artwork in this sketchbook. I’m hoping to help diminish the stigma that Blender upholds in the industry since software should never outweigh knowledge and skill.

So here’s a bit of an older piece to start this thread going. It was modeled in both Zbrush and Blender, and rendered in the amazing cycles. I hope guys enjoy, I have more to come! :slight_smile:

Thread thumbnail:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]408232[/ATTACH]

That’s a very cool sculpt ChrisWillC. Nice to hear that you enjoy Blender so I hope to see more amazing artwork like this from you in the future :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum ChrisWillC; that’s an amazing portrait! Can’t wait to see more :smiley:

Wow, that is incredible work, Chris! The character feels very alive with a striking gaze. Of course the details of the sculpt are amazing, and I very much like the lighting- simple but effective. What an introduction, welcome to the Blender Artists forums!

Welcome to the community! That is a really incredible sculpt, can’t wait to see more!

OK Oliver Reed is absolutely spot on. Yeah, I’m a fan. Very nice sculpt. Perfect capture of face. Clothing is awesome too.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Its an amazing Portrait, The portions all look correct, and the lighting really works well with the focus on the face and the detail, I keep feeling like hes about to talk. One thing that gets to me though is why did you decide to color in the eyes(including the red bit, lizard eye lid, or what ever its called) and nothing else?

broJohn - Haha the red bit is called the lacrimal gland :stuck_out_tongue: It was originally just suppose to be a clay render, but I found it too mundane and not captivating enough, so I gave the eyes some life. Cheers!

One alibi, how long did it take you to complete? And did the pace of your work speed up as you progressed?

FXR - It’s hard to say really. It was one of the first projects I started to incorporate blender in my workflow, so a lot of learning went into it. I definitely spent too much time trying to figure out the particle system for the hair. The likeness only took at most 2 days on and off in zbrush, but my workflow speed has increased substantially.

Here’s some wips of a new simple character I’ve started. I’ve finished the head sculpt, so now I’ve just been tweaking textures and shaders.

Amazing, looks like Vray!

That last detail render is stunning! Wow.
Great sculpting as well!

For what it’s worth, have you ever tried sculpting in Blender with Dyntopo?
I enjoy it a lot for concept sculpting or getting all the primary and secondary forms down.

@ChrisWillC,
Any chance we get some tutorial about human sculpting and textures for skin?

Thank you! I have, but nothing serious. I’ve mainly used the grab tool here and there in lieu of proportional editing. I’ll definitely have to give it a go. :slight_smile:

Yeah, i’ll definitely have to buckle down one of these days and make one.

Great stuff in here! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=ChrisWillC;2959609]Thank you! I have, but nothing serious. I’ve mainly used the grab tool here and there in lieu of proportional editing. I’ll definitely have to give it a go. :slight_smile:

Yeah do it!! Definitely worth it! And the combination of all modeling rigging animation tools makes it really powerfull ! A joy to work and i discoverd it yesterday ! :smiley: Im pure zbrush sculptor normalley and love it but that eyeopener yesterday while trying out dynatopo was jawdropping :smiley:

I Just love the arabic man, beautifully lit and awesome sculpt.

Ranquin - Thanks you!

So this model has been sitting collecting cg dust for weeks, so I figured i’d give it a quick render with basic HDRI lighting. I’m not too happy with it yet, but figured it deserved to be seen by eyes other than my own. :stuck_out_tongue:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]408227[/ATTACH]