3D Printed Aragorn

Hello community

I have been working on a project that involves modeling a human to 3D print. I have a start for the human but I feel it is time to bring this to the forums. I want to eventually end up with a figure like this.

I need to make the model I have more high poly. Up to this point I have been box modeling. Should I continue with this for the face? Should I sculpt? If I sculpt how much detail should I have? I have lots of questions. Here is were I am at currently. Any flaws?

Any thoughts?

Hey,
maybe it’s a stupid question, but why not just use makehuman? You could easily and quickly produce much more detailed mesh on which to work further. Or am I missing something?
Otherwise you have a long way to go I’m afraid. At the moment I thing the hands are the biggest problem, as they seem unproportional to the rest of the body

Plus I have made an intentional choice not to use makehuman just because I feel really cheaty when I use things like that. Plus if I were in the professional world I would want to be able to say that I did this myself. It feels more professional on a resume. I am doing this mostly as a learning project in order to get better at making humans. However I did think the arms looked weird so I will get to work.

You feel cheaty?

Let me tell you one thing im a professional graphic designer, I work in the packaging industry since 2004, i use 2D vector software. A professional SHOULD use any tool that makes his work faster/smoother/cheaper. So from a professional point of view not using makehuman for a job like this is a nonsense, time is money my friend, and MakeHuman is a fantastic resource a great tool, if you dont use it you are wasting a lot of time and effort and your result will in most cases not be as good as a makehuman mesh.

As a 2D vector graphic designer i use all the tools at my disposal… myfont for fast typography search, wikipedia for fast vector logos, autotracer for some kind of redraw, blender for fast perspective sketching, all of that tools are cheats from your point of view, but from my point of view are essential tools.

I fully agree with 50lpp.

If an application can save you time and there is no licensing issues, I will gladly use it. Having attempted to create my own face and figure, I will make use of Makehuman or even Daz3D figures if I must. It’s simply too time-consuming to do everything on my own.

Your base mesh looks like it’s on the right track! The topology looks nearly ready for sculpting (maybe too low res in the head though, compared to the rest. Perhaps spend more time on the shoulder, arms, and hands too)

I would disagree with the others though - Makehuman is kind of cheating if your goal is to improve your character modeling skills…

Anyway! My advice would be to make sure the proportions are perfect now before you move on to sculpting. It’s a lot easier to make the hands bigger in edit mode now than it will be further down the road when you have millions of polys.
For sculpting, I’d suggest using the multires modifier and only subdividing once. Sculpt out everything you possibly can at the current subdiv level and try to make it perfect before increasing the multires subdiv level. Then repeat :slight_smile:

Also! Always have a lot of good reference images for you to constantly look at!

Yeah I disagree about make human. It might work in the professional world when you already have modelling experience under your belt and there is a strict time constraint. It’s much better to model the whole thing yourself as it will give you a better understanding of Blender, topology, anatomy and much more and those skills are important to understand and will help you a lot more in the long run compared to make human.

You know what, this is headed downwards bro… No offence, but this hardly resembles a human. Swallow your pride, and get good, even via cheating (makehuman) then, after you’re really good, and receiving lots of compliments, do modelling exercises, and try modelling a human… Get that down, get fans, and then go professional. I played like I was a pro when I was a noob in Alpha 3D, and I couldn’t regret it more. I ruined my reputation, and although now I’m making this stuff;

people still think I’m making this stuff;

So yeah… Just learn for a while, until you get the hang of it… Watch a tutorial every once in a while. Don’t try to launch into the industry unprepared :wink: Good luck bro :slight_smile:

Yah, I see what you mean. I did know I was not good and that was sort of the point of this post. I was posting this more as a call for help rather than a hope for compliments. I am not going pro though. The school I go to has a 3D printer and they wanted someone to do some stuff for them. I put on the 3D printed part in case someone thought a limb would break off or something. I was not trying to say I was going pro. And also the reason I was not using make human was mostly so I could try to learn and get better. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear in my first post.

Making a Human is actual very difficult. But the Only way to learn is to actual try it. One way you could use “make human” is to use it ability to generate a mesh and then study the way the form is presented. Then have a go. Be prepared not to be put off if it does not come out right the first time. Good luck with your project.

Humans can be quite hard. If this is for 3D printing, I would suggest doing a bit more box modeling, sculpting it with dyntopo, applying a decimate modifier, posing it, and then re-sculpting it. That’s how I made this viking model, and the technique works quite well for me.