CG textures is now called Textures

The change isn’t just the name also the ui… which I don’t like but I can’t point out why…

Changes in the way you pay for stuff has become more akin to a website I can’t really recall the name of

Basically you have free credits and Premium credits
no more quotas

While it’s fair…

It does make Episcura seem more attractive since they have a very generous offer that allows you to download anything as long as it’s under 15 mb, and add on top of that a bandwidth free zone…
While I appreciate Episcura generosity… It seems a bit too generous…

So what do you guys think?

I don’t know what you’re on about, the updated more modern UI is much for fitting than what they had before.

And with Episcura, a single or a couple large textures will exceed 15mb, so not THAT good.

I think the real question is how does the new credit system work? Is it more or less generous than before? Or about the same?

I think we can just about all agree the design overhaul was much needed. I welcome it.

The report on CGTalk is that you will now have to pay up to several times more for the same level of service (since they’re going from being a site for general users to a site for studios and high-end users).

Basically, hobbyists are now priced out of the site (which comprises a good chunk of the userbase here on BA). However, you can pay by the month if you just need a handful of textures every now and then.

I don’t see that much difference in the ui, and it appears the old site still works?

It did a couple days ago but I can’t get onto it anymore.

The UI is fine, but the first thing I disliked is that I can’t find a free 2k texture. I don’t care about the credit system, but the texture size limit for free users made me immediately toddle off to Episcura.

bing lets you image search by license, free, size, etc…and you are going to probably get more off the internet than a single site. with private sites it is their site their rules, thats fair. but that does not mean you cant use other sources if a private site does not provide what you need.

if the users who need free textures get together they could start their own image / texture shareing site. every cell phone has a camera, just start snapping pictures of textures as you go about your day. the photography buffs can use real cameras. it shouldn’t take long to build up a decent collection with multiple people. and then it would be your textures, your site, your rules. you can do it how ever does fit your needs.