How to define an amount of pixels per unit when texturing?

[SUP]bad english ahead[/SUP]

I’m not the kind of person who would make threads in forums looking for answers, I usually find the answers myself using google and multiple searches but this problem in particular seems to not have a solution. So my last resource is to ask by myself about it in a forum.

My issue is found whenever I start UV Mapping my meshes, I find that the default of the unwrap function is to unwrap the faces and scale them fully onto whatever image is on the Image Editor. I would like to know if I can choose how that scaling is handled, I mean as in setting a pixel per unit ratio.

If I make 2 squares, one is the size of 1 unit and the other of 2 units, and apply a texture to both of them with the default unwrap scaling; I’ll get this:

Notice how the left one seems to have more pixels by being smaller.

What I would like to do is set a pixel per unit ratio so that when blender unwraps my mesh, it thinks “the artist wants 1 unit to be 4 pixels big in the texture”, and scales it like so:

I’ve been dealing with this problem by myself, just keeping the ratio information in my head and doing the mapping manually, but in my experience with the software I’ve seen myself doing things that could have been avoided just by knowing a keyboard shortcut.

My guess is that this problem can’t be solved because it isn’t a problem and I will just have to keep doing what I’ve been doing until now.
The snap to pixel function has been extremely helpful with my way of doing things.

Yes, I’ve been doing pixel-artsy textures.

Worth a shot, right?

pixels are rendered !

are you mixing up pixels per inch and mapping may be?
it may also depends on the image size like 1K or 4K added to some object

in the render panel you define the image size in pixels too!
and on a screen it is limited to about 100 pixels / inch so depends also on the zoom factor in rendered pic

not an easy subject and many parameters here !

happy bl

Hi

You can use S to resize the mesh…In UV/Image editor with Mesh selected - Press s and move the mouse.
or type eg. s 3

Tai

Not the kind of help I was looking for, my problem is not image sizes or scaling issues.

I guess my problem is unsolvable, thanks for trying tho.

Hi

When you select the method for the UV unwrap there are various options
For what you want to do, the basic UV projection methods usually have a size of some sort.

For example, choosing UV Unwrap->Cube projection, the options appear in the toolbar and include ‘Cube Size’
This determines the size of the cube projected onto the UV space.
So in your example above, you could have 1 cube that is 0.1 and one that is 0.2
That would do exactly what you wanted.

These sizes are only available for the basic projection.
For more advanced projection you will have to manually scale the UV faces to the image after unwrapping

Hope this helps

Martin