sand dune desert, color, shader

hello

i did try various times, to try similar that photo:

my shader:

see it’s not same that first,second pictures (Despicable Me)

important and particular LIGHT AND DARK see:

i did try coloramp not worked…
i dont know here i make error node editor…
do you have idea?

there is other image link good
https://s3.amazonaws.com/blenderguru.com/uploads/2015/03/usage_diff.jpg
that is make from blenderguru,

i have not good idea for to make same light and dark (i dont know what is name effect or color)…

Try something like this. The image texture input on the left hand side has been created using the “texture paint” function. It is used to mix between the dark wavy diffuse material and the lighter flat material. It’s also used to reduce the bump height smoothly on the transition between the two.

Of course this is a very rough and ready test - and you could probably create a better mask suing Photoshop or something - but it demonstrates the concept of using an image mask to mix between two materials.

ah… i understand that mean: there are 2 way:

1 way:
use node editor for material

2 way:
use texture (photoshop/gimp/etc…)

for 2 way is not good because if i change position of lamp (sun: morning and afternoon, nigh) texture is not changed…
so i think 1 way is natural from ligh sun to shader… i’m interessing that light (line ligh and area light) and dark (shadow)…
but i will try, but i’m curious that first and second picture of first topic that is used shader(natural light (node editor) ) or texture (photoshop)…?

or maybe it’s problem from color of shader…?
or maybe it’s problem from lamp sun : strength, size ? (because will changed to color shader…)

thank you for to try…so i need to all users…

here i test…

so that cool make from blenderguru:

i did try to blenderguru but i’m back too…
node editor is not easy to use it, right…? need long time to know how works it…

The example I gave above is using a combination of the one and two.

You set up the materials using nodes and then you create a grey scale texture in photoshop (or using texture paint). You use this grey scale texture as a mask to mix between the two materials.

The white parts of the image will be where you want the lighter flat sand and the black parts of the image are where you want the darker wavy sand. Anything grey in the texture will be a mixture of the two.

By using a mask to mix between two diffuse shaders - your scene will respond to any change in lighting correctly.

This is what my scene looks like in texture paint mode:

There is a very good tutorial on how to do this in Ronen bekerman.com

It may not be a blender tutorial but you should be able to do it

2 tutorials in fact
http://www.ronenbekerman.com/procedural-vray-sand-material-how-to-use-it-video/
http://www.ronenbekerman.com/making-of-baltic-sea-house/

ah that is mask from 2 material (shader) ok i will try mask… do you did try like to Despicable Me ?
maybe despicable me used (compositing after render?..maybe used contrast/hue/gamma…uhmm…i will test…

i’m afraind if the sun change time…that texture will be changed effect from render, like as worked effect to changed from morning to afternoon and night?

there is blend file?( so i will can understand how works effect…)

for now bump/noise is not urgent, for now important to know same effect from despicable me technical node…

thank you any you posted here…

fdfxd:
thank you for good tutorial non-blender interesting…

see my test:

maybe it’s good but it’s blender internal, used color ramp, but in blender cycles has not same result…
it’s not easy… :frowning: i try again…

there are news from you?