Which OS should I use?

Hi, quick question with presumable long answer: which operative system should use choose for blender? From what I’ve read Linux, Linux mint, Ubuntu and Blenderboot seems to most promising, but what differs them?
Since I’m particularly aiming on fast render times that is my top question about them :smiley:

I use windows 7 home premium which I’ve used since I got this pc.

They all are going to be pretty much the same. Really what matters is how you like them. Have you used Linux much?

Hi, since a while Linux is only ~10% faster in render on CPU.
If you are Windows guy, update to Windows 10 it is really nice and fast.
You can try Live versions of Opensuse or Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Mint for a short view but you need some weeks and a lot of reading to get familiar with Linux.
I change to Linux many years ago, first with a dual boot system, later kick Windows when I don´t start it for months.

Cheers, mib

Only 10%? What happened to those 50% boosts?

How faster is windows 10 in renders?

I have a feeling that the mileage varies quite a bit when it comes to Win 10… After upgrading from Win 7 I’ve seen more unmotivated BSODs in a month with Win 10 than with all other Win OSs over the many years together.

Before upgrading to Win 10 make also sure that you’ve informed yourself regarding its privacy issues, hidden in 45 pages of policy documents and opt-out settings split across 13 different settings screens. To quote the EDRi: “Microsoft basically grants itself very broad rights to collect everything you do, say and write with and on your devices in order to sell more targeted advertising or to sell your data to third parties.”

For a Linux novice the ubuntu family might indeed be the best starting point, as it’s quite easy to get into. Linux Mint (well, most of its variants) are based on ubuntu as well - think of them as a refined version of ubuntu with additional multimedia support.