Do I need to be a genius to create surreal art ?

Hello guys,

I recently found surrealism to be super interesting. It doesn’t matter if you like it, hate it or don’t even know what it really is, you must check out this: boundlessblending.blogspot.com/2015/10/do-i-need-to-be-genius-to-create.html

Good luck with your art,
-Sayan.

Great article as usual, Sayan :smiley:

Thanks a lot.
-S.

Surrealism like many art movements at that time when modern art was conceived was more about bunch of people getting together to fight against the traditional art, than anything else. The claim that surrealism works on unconscious level is in my opinion just nonsense. Surrealism is just another way of creating the real content which is the stuff you see in the artwork. The funny thing is that modern art was (and still is) built on assumptions that makes the art somehow transcended which means you can get more money out of it.

Hi Krice, I’m talking about the creative part of surreal art. If unconsciousness is not applied, then it would have ended up as a cent percent realistic artwork. Nevertheless, opinions vary. I cannot dictate a rule for surrealism neither anyone else. It all depends largely in what the artist thinks.
-S.

Photosurrealism is the new photorealism.

Great new concept. Cheers.
-Sayan.

Since no one can dictate rules for surrealism, i’ll just say my unqualified opinion, without fearing that I may unwillingly go against those rules :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing is: one can distort reality and mix it with imagination and be perfectly consious about it. One wouldn’t even have thought about communicating the result of such operation if it was subconscious.
So, surrealism gets back to being perfectly based on conscious thought.

The thing is, the initial definition of surreal comes from Froyd’s studies about subconsious, which can mostly be considered obsolete as of now, tough he retains the merit of having invented modern psychology.

Probably modern surrealism would need a new definition, if one hasn’t already found.

Couldn’t agree more.

Anyway, good article, thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Thanks for your contribution. Your opinion sounds cool as well. Good luck with your art !

The base for getting at least a nominally surrealistic feeling.

• Think of a photorealistic concept that is applicable in the real world
  • Bend the rules of reality a bit (even breaking them in certain aspects like physics).
  • Create your piece.

It may not give you an instant Salvadore Dali work (or at least one that looks like he could’ve made it), but it’s a start.

surealism, is realism with a twist; otherwise it would have been realism.

So I think its wrong to say : Photosurrealism is the new photorealism.
Surreal is an opposite of real, so surrealism can’t be realism.

For example HDR photo’s can be a form Photo surrealism, but then as those photo’s are edited they are no longer the real original thing.
Professional news reporters often claim to never edit their photo’s. ( the news shouldnt be photoshopped, as the news shouldnt be altered).

But in art the borders often a bit vague, because paintings even the good realistic ones are still not photo’s.
An artist can attempt however to go for as much realism as he is able to paint / draw etc. (he’s into realism)
While other artist intentionally dont want to be so realistic, but till a certain degree work realistic.
So that things are still recognizable (ea not modern Art like cubism, minimalism etc).
As example an artist can paint things more vague like in a dream, alter colors of shadows and objects, work with different line styles etc. Think of works of van Gogh, Monet etc they intentionally didnt paint the world in realism.
Or think of Salvadore Dahli (you should look him up if you never heard of him).

Its a bit complex though, because you got to take the skill of the artist into account too,
People who cant paint aren’t by definition great surreal painters, no they are just bad at painting.

Time also plays a role.
Portraits from Rembrandt where intended to be real good looking paintings of his subjects.
But if you visit a museum, you’ll notice that all those faces have a romantic lightning /look to them.
And for sure his customers would have liked such portraits, and might have rejected some face abnormalities (skars etc).
So he painted them realistic, but nicer looking then real.

In art history you also see sometimes they go book to paint ‘romantic realism’. For a long time Romantic’s where money makers in Art.

Do you need a genius to create such Art ?.
Well if you work with paint yes, or else i’d compare you with someone who can’t paint.
If you work with Blender… well i think deforming something that was good looking and that came from blendswap… that probably wouldn’t require you to be a genius. I think to become an Genius Artist, you first need to sell your work for real prices; then if other people call you an artist for what you made, then you probably starting to be one…

I’d like to add a rule for “good” artist that they are multidisciplinary ea can work with paint, and sculpt stone, draw, ink etc.
They typically experiment with their tools on different materials. But that not a real rule its just something i use.

Stop being so surreal. Many artists never sold their art for any good price at least, their art was “recognized” much later by people who are responsible for making big money by increasing the value of some artist.

Was the pun intended here or are we seeing a case of the thread itself spiraling into surrealism now?

@ace

Oh don’t be so surreal.

this forum should be renamed “cgchat”

It’s a whole lot of opinions and ideas now. Keep going guys. I’m loving it. A lot to learn from this thread.
-Sayan.

Something I picked up from some obscure art book in a local library at a young age about this form of art was it’s about purposely drawing attention in an instant like a dangling head, a headless bust, or 2 heads with one big eyes each. Or it may be a weird structure that doesn’t exist in reality, an object, etc. Something that would leave a lifelong impression. And if you’re observant, this is exactly what people in the ad business try to do. There are tv commercials like two old guys’ hands dipping into a guy’s pocket everywhere he goes, as an example, which I find corny and annoying for an attempt. I don’t even remember the name of the commercial. The impression lasted, but the name didn’t.