CPU overheating

I have a problem with my cpu overheating when i render. The result is that my pc shuts down defensively to protect the cpu and the rendering process is incomplete. I need all the advice i can get. First thing i have tried is to torn powerconsumption from performance to balanced. I havent tried to render yet but i will update the thread if it has helped.

Ensure your cooling is working correctly, check heatsink, cooling fans, clear our muck from inside machine.
Reduce number of threads the cpu is using for rendering in Render / Performance settinga

Actually, i have done all that after i made the thread. So far its working good. It seems like the cooling is way better now. But for future referance, what is “our muck”?
I have also figured out that i can use my gpu, this way the cpu isnt affected at all.

Muck is most dust, cloth particles etc… It will stick to every surface in the computer especially fans. Get a can of compressed air and blow out all your fans etc… You might be surprised how much stuff comes out.

Yes, use the GPU … it will also render much faster if you have a decent/good one.

But one thing you can do (this doesn’t solve your overheating) is use HWiNFO tool to monitor your temps, and you can set it to run a .bat to close blender once your CPUMAX reaches a certain temperature. This could help you for troubleshooting so you don’t need to keep waiting for the restart after it gets too hot.

taskkill /f /im blender-app.exe

This is also handy if you want to do a very long render and don’t want to worry about making your computer explode while you’re afk.

I would also note that some of the later Intel models don’t lend themselves well to things like overclocking due to the lower quality heat paste that the company is now using (so avoid that unless you’re willing to apply higher quality heat paste yourself which can sometimes be messy).

Also, I’m not sure if using the GPU instead will really help if the issue might actually be poor ventilation on the part of the PC case because they tend to produce even more heat full blast than the CPU (which may even require a water cooling system).

Arve
if you are not going to even tell us the very BASICS
then how can we even think of helping
all we can do is toss out WILD GUESSES!!!

we do not even know if this is Blender 2.75 or 2.49b
or if this is a antique Pentium III or IV , or a new i3,i5,i7
or if this is a DESKTOP !!! or LAPTOP!!!

nor did you bother to inform us as to WHAT IS THE OPERATING SYSTEM!!!
windows 98 ?
XP?
7,8,10 ???
Apple osx ??? WHAT ???
linux
if so WHAT ONE ???

I am sorry about that, but the thread was already made and since this site uses manually aproval of all posts i didnt know how to change it.

Arev

I am NOT going to play the 20 questions game
You provided no information and i am not going to "pull teeth " and try to PRY the answers out

You are not paying my for tech support
good by !

Edit button at bottom of post or just add a post with the info.

If you are using a desktop machine open it up and ensure you have got rid of all crud (cat/dog hair, dust, muck etc) from heatsinks, fans, ensure you have clear ventilation. Where is your machine located ? Does its position allow a free flow of air through it or is it in a cupboard cooking away from its own heat ? Is it on the ground sucking of crap from the floor ? What’s the ambient temperature ? Do you live in the middle of a tropical jungle or the freezing wastes of Siberia ?

Use some software to monitor temperature / fan speeds.

Is your computer a piece of crap ? If so you may be pushing it more that it is capable of.

I am aware of the edit button. I would have posted an update in a new post if it was needed. But already in post three i state that the problem is solved. I thought that would have put the thread at rest.
I will remember to provide the needed information the next time i ask for help. Thank you all for helping me.

PS: I thought i had quoetd but aparaently not. This is a reply to Richard Marklev 4-oct-2015-18.29.

I am sorry if i have been wasting your time, it was not intentional. I am grateful for any replies but yours came at a time when my problem had already been fixed. So i was abit surprised when someone was stil posting in it. I will take your advice and be more acurate the next time i ask for help.

PS: This was meant as a reply JohnVV 3-oct-2015-18.17.

I’m facing a situation (commercial hi def sIBL HDRI “scenarios”) where the 2 GB of the GPU are not enough (in Linux as in Windows), and rendering with the CPU is the only option.

HWINFO suggested by MurrayToronto sounds good, thanks.

And keeping your hardware clean has also been mentioned.

I keep the cabinet open on both sides, I mean I completely removed both side wide walls and keep them apart, and when rendering I switch on a big fan blowing into the PC at an angle (aside-below) from which it helps the cooling of everything, including the power supply. I can confirm that it’s quite effective by monitoring temperatures and especially by listening to the CPU and GPU own fans “relaxing” quite a bit :slight_smile:

The big fan has its own stand and does not touch the shelf where the PC (and external hard disks) are, so no vibrations come to my hardware from it.

Caveat: watch out, getting a cold from this setup is quite easy.

BOINC has a nice solution and maybe someday Blender will have something like it: TThrottle is able to monitor CPU and GPU temperatures, and to throttle BOINC threads if needed, according to your setup (typically you want to establish a maximum temperature with a small safety margin below the maximum recommended temperature).

Before somneone else starts posting in this thread i just want to say, that my problem has been solved and i dont need any further asistance.
You can use the thread as a general dsicussion though.

no need to be a dick, nor imply that you’re the best thing
since sliced bread. i’m sure all the other people willing to respond will help him out.

Not sure how those two go together. With an open case, don’t dust and dirt obstruct the cooling fans even faster than when the case is closed?

Apart from that you’re ruining the airflow concept of the case. Perhaps the actively cooled components (CPU/GPU) run cooler that way, but what about the passively cooled ones, which rely on a steady airflow through the case?

I tend to think that a decent cooling concept should be able to keep your components cool under any circumstances, with a closed PC case and no matter what kind of load you throw at your CPU and for how long. If it doesn’t, it’s time to examine what is wrong with your setup…

^ Yeah

@jazz Think of if you had a hole in a vacuum hose… the suction at the nozzle would be less. The same applies to a computer case. The fans are less effective when you take the sides of the case off.

If you’re overheating badly enough that taking the sides of your case off gives you better temps, then the problem lies elsewhere. Any proper gaming or rendering rig needs a full tower, lots of (working) fans, good cable management, and proper fan facing… and no dust.

Example: My case (haf 932) has intake fans on the front(230mm)/back(2x120mm)/bottom(120mm)/side(230mm), and an exhaust on the very top (230mm). This brings cool air from all sides and emits the hot air upwards and out. Personally I believe this is the best setup, its never failed me once.

PS. I only do the HWINFO thing because I’m paranoid from messing up a GPU 10-15 years ago (I’m scarred for life and always watch temps). Lmao.

When rendering, I always use fan-control software to max out the fan speed (I’m on a Mac; I use SMU Fan Control – there are others out there). I have a temperature monitor running so I can see how hot various internal components are getting. I also keep a stand-alone temperature monitor handy to keep track of the ambient temperature in the room where the computer is. Finally, I sometimes place a separate fan and blow it at or near the computer to keep the air in the immediate region from getting too hot.

Overkill, probably. And I don’t use ALL of these techniques all the time. But I find that it definitely helps keep the computer cooler. My laptop in particular needs a lot of attention when I’m rendering.

I find it very disturbing how some users responded to Arev, like they have never been new. Please let us keep the Blenderartists forums friendly and proffesional.

@Arev, I’m also here to help you to solve your already solved problem…
Just kidding. But to prevent this, you can mark the thread as “Solved”. I know that the option is little hidden and difficult to find:
Login to forum > Edit Post (in first message) > Go Advanced . Then in “Prefix” chosse “Solved” > Save Changes.