Animating eyes

am using Blender 2.73A … have been trying to learn the 3D modeling and animation… most of the characters I have been doing don’t move their eyes… or mouths… I am now trying to learn how to make the eyes move… I followed a tutorial and got the bones set up on it and it moves but when it moves to the side, instead of the black pupils in the center of the eye rotating to look to the sides, the eye moves into the head… I only want the eyeball to rotate around and not move back into the head… I’m new to all this … first time trying to animate eyes …
Little Cartoon Man.blend (631 KB)Little Cartoon Man.blend (631 KB)
thanks
Barbara

sorry for the file going on twice… didn’t show it was on twice and the button to click to post the file was not showing in the window so must have clicked it twice and it didn’t show after I clicked whatever button I clicked at first…

thanks
Barbara

Take a look at where the geometric center of the eye-sphere is. It should be exactly in the middle of the sphere. And the rotation (there are several options available …) should be specified to be “around that center.”

When you alter the (X, Y, Z) rotation numbers for the object in the user interface, the sphere should rotate along each axis but its position in space should not change in any way.

If you look at the IPO-curves controlling the animation, the only variables being changed should be: RotX, RotY, RotZ.

You do not say how you’re going about causing the eyes to move: for instance, are you using drivers? A “Track” constraint? All of these have different options; different ways of setting them up; even different sets of coordinates (Global, Local …) that can be affected. Look at the rotation and position properties of the eye sphere to see how the numbers change as you perform your animation. You should see that global position does not change at all, and that local rotation changes in the way that you expect.

Uh huh … you are, in effect, “debugging.” :yes:

I took a short look in your file.

The rig is ok, but your left eye bone control your right eye and your right eye bone is parented to the left eye.
Also like @sundialsvc4 mentioned your eye bones are not in the center of your spheres.

Not sure about the control… I use the eye_Tracking bone… to move the eyes with…I found a tutorial I was trying to follow and thought I had it til I tried to move the eyes… Hmm… not sure what happened that the left eye bone controls the right eye and right eye bone parented to left eye… I tried to be very careful what was highlighted when doing each step…
Back to the drawing board (so to speak) and work on it… thanks for looking at it… am trying to learn and this is the first time I’ve tried to animate eyes…
have a good day
Barbara

The head of the eye bones must be located exactly at the center of the eye object, otherwise rotating the bone will move the eye around. So I would fix that first, I didn’t look at the other parenting issue yet, but it’s all relatively easy once you’ve powered though it with a couple cups of coffee.

–deleted-- Answer already covered. :spin: