Zoom "steps" have suddenly become too big!

Hi all. I’ve been happily working on my project for a few weeks now without any issues. Today I’ve done something to cause the zoom function to stop working properly. It jumps too far with each scroll! I’m on a macbook so I’m using a trackpad but this issue hasn’t cropped up for me before.
Here’s a gif off whats happening for each scroll increment.

(The forum doesn’t seem to like my gif file - Sorry for the link)

Maybe look at a more reliable host site

Where is your blend file to review ?

What happens when you sue a mouse instead of trackpad
Trackpad settings ?
File / Load Factory Settings, is the default scene ok

Sorry Richard. I’m only three weeks into 3D software. I haven’t quite got up to scratch with the forum etiquette/requirements. Bare with me… I’ll find a way to get the .blend file over.

I don’t have access to a mouse.
I looked at trackpad settings and couldn’t find anything out of place.
Loading factory settings didn’t change anything.

Here’s the blend file http://www.pasteall.org/blend/38359

Your object is way out in space. Set it’s origin to 0,0,0 in the Transform values in the properties panel (shortcut N) then press period key (.) to focus the view on the object.

Also your object is pretty small for a building. Having very small or very large objects can make it difficult to model

I don’t have access to a mouse.
Well make the effort to get one

If you unhide the other objects you’ll see why the building is way out there. More to the point it has worked fine this way for the last few days, since I created that new building. Something has happened to change my ability to zoom in properly.
It is full of mistakes but by the time I figured most things out I had created way too much to start over again. First project, big learning curve.

Select object then press period key (.) to focus the view on the object or toggle into orthographic view

Thankyou. That worked perfectly!

Hi was hoping you might be able to help as I’ve run into the same issue as this thread, but your advice hasn’t worked for me (I’m assuming 5 years later the software has changed quite a lot!)

Similar to the original post, I am brand new today, and definitely pressed some silly key incorrectly. If I open a new or early save file, the zoom is nice and soft, but with the file I’ve worked hard on all day the zoom “steps” are huge (I’ll try and attach a photo)

Any idea what settings I might have switched on or off? I’m really worried I’ll have to start again, as I just can’t finish it without zoom

Thanks in advance

Anna!
2020-05-23 (1)|690x387

Welcome to the community, @Anna_McCarthy! With the time difference between these two posts, it is probably safer to start a new thread, but there are a few things to address here.

You are using Blender 2.70 released 19 March 2014. Yes, there have been many changes to the software since then. Can I suggest downloading 2.82a released 12 March 2020? Not that it will automatically fix your issues, but you are likely to get better support using a current version of Blender.

So, navigating Blender takes some time to get used to. Zoom works differently in perspective view mode compared to orthographic view mode. Take a look at this manual page to get familiar with navigating: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/3dview/navigate/navigation.html#navigation

If that doesn’t clear it up for you, start a new thread and we’ll keep troubleshooting!

1 Like

What Hunkadoodle said: using Blender pre-2.80 is just masochism. You’ll appreciate the changes.

There are settings to keep all your old muscle memories valid, if necessary, but if it’s been a long time I suggest you grit your teeth and start getting used to the new defaults.

On the zoom (which oddly seems to be cropping up a lot this week): in 2.8 you can use CTRL+MMB-drag to zoom quite a bit slower than the mouse wheel will.