[PAID] Experienced Artist on Particle Systems (City generation)

Hello, currently working on a flight simulator and I need cities generated. We have all the buildings modelled, we just need someone to help us set up the particle systems to start putting the cities together.

We have 4 types of houses/buildings:

1. Residential houses
  2. Short buildings
  3. Medium buildings
  4. Tall buildings
  5. We also have significant buildings since we’re basing our cities off real ones (extra)

The diagram above shows how I want the cities to be laid out. Goal is to get this done in maximum 2 weeks, and we have 5 cities on the line. Also we want to make the arrangements of buildings to look more varied, and not as systematic of course.

Price: 40GBP (Negotiable)

If interested, PM me or add me on Skype at tehnoobish123, thanks all!

P.S. Youtube videos to help give you an idea of how I want the city generation to look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjm7YE0bdt4 (impressive)

@justinodunn
I actually don’t have one. But if you’d like, we can keep on touch here. My youtube channel provides you with tutorials btw. I made the UI as simple as possible for handling assets.

Sure! And would your plugin be able to achieve what I want as shown in the diagram above?

Moderation: Please be aware that replies in the Jobs forums are not for discussion or support. They’re for inquiries or applications. If you would like to continue this discussion, I recommend taking it to PM or email.

I looked at the plugin that @Albertfox showcased and it places the buildings at random and doesn’t make roads. I’m going to describe this process here so everyone can see it. And if you wnat me to do it for you or make it larger scale and implement it to unity and it’s terrain, or whichever engine you’re making the flight sim on, I can do that for you as well. 40GBP is worh it, and I’d buy something like speedtree with it and send you the model pack…But I’m getting sidetracked.
I quickly modeled 2 skyscrapers, 2 tall buildings, 2 med buildings, 1 short one with 1 residental area and 1 factory. And by quickly modeled I mean only to show the proof of concept.
Now I copyed and mixed them a bit. Id you look at the group of the skyscrapers, you can see, that each of the 2 models is copyed 3 times, and at the end there is a medium building, kinda hard to see in this picture. That means that each skyscraper in the group will be spawned 3x more likeley than the medium building. I added that building in there to make it a bit less bland and repetitive. That means the area with the skyscrapers is gonna have every 1/7 buildings as the medium one. Therefor in an are with 100 skyscrapers, there are going to be 14 medium buildings.

Same goes for the group with medium buildings, I made it so there are 6 of them in total+1 skyscraper, which means there are going to be some skyscrapers in the medium building are, just to make it less bland.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403275[/ATTACH]

After that I made a plane and scaled it up a bit. I subdivided it 6 times, which gave me just over 4000 vertecies. i’ll be using those vertecies to spawn the buildings. I selected a small part of the vertecies for where i’ll spawn the skyscrapers. I pressed “p” and seperated the selection only. Went to object mode and selected the seperated area. If you did it correctly, now you should have a plane with a hole in which the second one fits pervectly. Make sure you don’t move them an inch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403277[/ATTACH]

I made a new hair particle system. I ticked the advanced settings and under the Emission I changed it from Faces to Verts. This spawned alot of hair, so I had to tone it down to the exact ammount of the vertecies I had(change the number on the slider called…number) . You find out the number of verts by pressing tab and looking at the top of your window. my case was 287. If your hairs are pointing the wrong way and it bothers you (not important which way they point), just flip the normals by going to edit mode pressing w and clicking on flip normals.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403278[/ATTACH]

So far, it should look like this. Now I went to the render settings changed it from Path mode to Group mode. The reason I chose group mode instead of object mode, is becose I wanted to spawn in more than only one kind of buildings. From the Dupli group dropdown menu I selected the skyscrapers group. This made them very tiny and laying on their sides. Right under that menu I ckecked roration whih will enable us to manualy change the orientation. I scrolled up to the Rotation menu, ticked it as well. I changed the dropdown menu from Velocity/Hair to Object Y or whichever worked the best.
Now to fix the scaling error. I just switched to the layer on which I had the buildings and scaled them up. It wasn’t correct the first time so I kept scaling them untill I was statisfyed. There are some empty plots but I don’t know how to fix that.
I pressed 5 then 7 and went into edit mode. I started removing some vertecies to make way for roads.

I just repeated the steps to make the part with medum buildings and the suburbs.

For the factories, I just removed square of 3x3 vertecies and placed them in manually. If you were making a big city, you might want to do that with the particles as well.

Time to render it and show you the results.

You can do whatever you want with this. But if you want to send me the models and add in roads, it still stands at 40 GBP

I looked at the plugin that @Albertfox showcased and it places the buildings at random and doesn’t make roads. I’m going to describe this process here so everyone can see it. And if you wnat me to do it for you or make it larger scale and implement it to unity and it’s terrain, or whichever engine you’re making the flight sim on, I can do that for you as well. 40GBP is worh it, and I’d buy something like speedtree with it and send you the model pack…But I’m getting sidetracked.
I quickly modeled 2 skyscrapers, 2 tall buildings, 2 med buildings, 1 short one with 1 residental area and 1 factory. And by quickly modeled I mean only to show the proof of concept.
Now I copyed and mixed them a bit. Id you look at the group of the skyscrapers, you can see, that each of the 2 models is copyed 3 times, and at the end there is a medium building, kinda hard to see in this picture. That means that each skyscraper in the group will be spawned 3x more likeley than the medium building. I added that building in there to make it a bit less bland and repetitive. That means the area with the skyscrapers is gonna have every 1/7 buildings as the medium one. Therefor in an are with 100 skyscrapers, there are going to be 14 medium buildings.

Same goes for the group with medium buildings, I made it so there are 6 of them in total+1 skyscraper, which means there are going to be some skyscrapers in the medium building are, just to make it less bland.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]403275[/ATTACH]

After that I made a plane and scaled it up a bit. I subdivided it 6 times, which gave me just over 4000 vertecies. i’ll be using those vertecies to spawn the buildings. I selected a small part of the vertecies for where i’ll spawn the skyscrapers. I pressed “p” and seperated the selection only. Went to object mode and selected the seperated area. If you did it correctly, now you should have a plane with a hole in which the second one fits pervectly. Make sure you don’t move them an inch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403277[/ATTACH]

I made a new hair particle system. I ticked the advanced settings and under the Emission I changed it from Faces to Verts. This spawned alot of hair, so I had to tone it down to the exact ammount of the vertecies I had(change the number on the slider called…number) . You find out the number of verts by pressing tab and looking at the top of your window. my case was 287. If your hairs are pointing the wrong way and it bothers you (not important which way they point), just flip the normals by going to edit mode pressing w and clicking on flip normals.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403278[/ATTACH]

So far, it should look like this. Now I went to the render settings changed it from Path mode to Group mode. The reason I chose group mode instead of object mode, is becose I wanted to spawn in more than only one kind of buildings. From the Dupli group dropdown menu I selected the skyscrapers group. This made them very tiny and laying on their sides. Right under that menu I ckecked roration whih will enable us to manualy change the orientation. I scrolled up to the Rotation menu, ticked it as well. I changed the dropdown menu from Velocity/Hair to Object Y or whichever worked the best.
Now to fix the scaling error. I just switched to the layer on which I had the buildings and scaled them up. It wasn’t correct the first time so I kept scaling them untill I was statisfyed. There are some empty plots but I don’t know how to fix that.
I pressed 5 then 7 and went into edit mode. I started removing some vertecies to make way for roads.

I just repeated the steps to make the part with medum buildings and the suburbs.

For the factories, I just removed square of 3x3 vertecies and placed them in manually. If you were making a big city, you might want to do that with the particles as well.

Time to render it and show you the results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]403285[/ATTACH]

You can do whatever you want with this. But if you want to send me the models and add in roads, it still stands at 40 GBP