Video encoding through VSE with multithreaded encoding or CUDA acceleration

Hello.

I’m doingsome video encoding through VSE, with no 3D rendering at all.

But ittakes so long!

I wouldlike to enable multithreaded encoding or CUDA acceleration in VSE.

Is thatpossible?

Thanks!

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussion” to “Support > Compositing and Post Processing”

The short answer to your question is no. Those features are currently not available.

Are you sure that the issue is with encoding? How many channels of video are you using? What is your source material (image sequences, video of a particular codec, etc.)? How many effects? What’s the total running time on your edit?

Thank you for your answers, Fweeb: the questions you asked actually point to where I need to look to speed things up on my system. I find the VSE essentially good to work in, although I think it could be better with more standarised shortcut keys (NLEs generally use [J] [K] and [L] for playback) but I suppose that could be remapped. Although, how would you go about remapping playing video in reverse (usually [J]) ? BTW, coming from Lightworks, but I understand FCP and Avid use similar shortcuts.

There are many useful VSE addons (python scripts) to enhance editing experience in the VSE.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Sequencer

But keymapping is a challenge. There is no play backwards and the spacebar is a application wide key for search.

There absolutely is play backwards: Shift+Alt+A

Well I’ll be… ! Thanks Fweeb.

So, conceivably, that could be remapped? At this point, to stop video that’s playing, I hit Alt A again… so it’s a toggle. How does one remap that?

Some one did remap it but you have to hack blender a bit to do it IIRC.

Here’s the play buttons:

I just remapped J K L to reverse, stop, play forward. But as the action occurs in the Frames subset, you are stuck with global changes to other windows. And of course K is mapped to Cut in the VSE. You could remap the cut to… C and map another play pause to K.

Good on ya, mate… I ended up doing a [CTRL] [J] and [CTRL] [L] and clicking on the Stop thing when I want the video to stop. I need that [K] too much to muck around with it.

I suppose I could get used to what others did with those additional VSE tools… just get used to those, I guess.
Thanks again!