Photorealistic interior room tutorial

Hey guys! I’m a pretty new addict of this beautiful piece of software called Blender. Awesome stuff! After seeing a lot of nice interior renders I decided to reproduce something of this kind.

Can you show me some nice video tutorials? I know about Andrew’s “Architecture Academy”, but I’m looking for an alternative.

I would like to create an interior render of a nice cozy room, with a TV on the wall. Then, to add some things in Photoshop and make it look like they are coming about from the TV and walking into the room.

This is the best representation of what I’m trying to achieve: http://i.imgur.com/W9bq4ko.jpg

Please let me know if you have a subject-related video tutorial. Thank you so much!

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Modeling” (mostly because it’s the first step in your process. Your question also involves materials, textures, lighting, rendering, and even possibly some post production. What you’ve asked for help on is no small thing.)

And, well, this reference image isn’t "photo-"realistic. (I really don’t know what that term is supposed to mean, anyway. “A photo” is not “real.”) The picture is a stylized artistic creation. It’s well-balanced, has good light levels throughout, but also has many artistic cheats. (For example, consider the color of the ‘night sky’ behind the nearly-closed blinds vs. immediately our-right of the tower. It isn’t just sunset. Or, that there is no light-source to explain the play of light on the leading-edge of the blinds.) “Look at the light,” anywhere in the shot, and you will perceive the artist’s choices … and, post-production.

I personally would like to see more tutorials that openly talk about post-production and “CG ‘darkroom work.’” I think that a lot of artists sincerely believe that an image does … or that it somehow ought to … “pop out of the render-engine, fully formed, like Venus :eek: popping out of a clamshell.” I’d like to see more tutorials that discuss how the trick is actually done.

Ansel Adams, the famous photographer, once said that, while a picture may be captured in the camera (“rendering”), it is made in the darkroom (“compositing”). He was right.

Register at http://www.chocofur.com and download the free scenes. Look how they made the interiors.

Hey guys! Thank you very much for your quick responses! At this moment I feel like I didn’t offer you enough information about myself and about what I’m doing.

My real name is Andrei Ivascu and I’m (mainly) a photo retoucher. My main skill is Photoshop, but I love advertising and I know that in order to be able to evolve on this path, I need to become proficient in the 3D field as well.

My first contact with a 3D software (Blender) happened two years ago. I spent a generous amount of time learning the basics and everything ended up with an advertising project.

http://www.andrei-ivascu.ro/dog-houses-hand-picked-products-for-your-best-friend

After finishing it I was pretty much burned out, tierd of this new field (for me), called 3D. So I decided to take a break. The worst decision I’ve made. Now I feel that I should have pushed forward into this field, instead of taking a break. Which took, well, two years.

Now I’m trying to get back on track and I’m pretty sure that the best way to do it would be to create something pretty complex by following a tutorial. This will (hopefully) help me to remember the basics and (maybe) some more.

I decided to reproduce the interior of a room because I love these things, I’ve literally fallen in love with them.

That’s it; now you know my story. :slight_smile:

So far I’ve found two good video tutorials, for two different rooms:

1. http://imgur.com/41LG7bR
  2. http://imgur.com/BQPk5EI

These are good, but not exactly what I’m looking for. If you know other similar tutorials, please let me know!

Sorry for creating this topic in the wrong section and thank you for moving it where it belongs.

I know that my example doesn’t look very realistic and I’m aware about all the flaws, but it was the closest representation of what I intend to achieve. I also have some knowledge about post production and I know that it’s impossible to get a finished product “out of the render-engine, fully formed, like Venus, popping out of a clamshell”, but thank you very much for warning me; you were very kind!

Thank you very much for this suggestion, very good stuff, but considering my two-years-break, I would like to follow a video tutorial instead of a written one. I’m not confident enough that I can reproduce something by following a text, I feel like I need a video instruction.

Thank you very much guys; please keep the suggestions coming! :slight_smile:

It’s not a tutorial. It’s just several finished blender files with interior design. I was thinking more of that you just take a look how the real “professionals” made them.

EDIT: I’M A retard. There are tutorials. :o

But they have free blend files anyways that you can study.