questions about peoples layer preferance

so guys im wondering the layers at the bottom of the 3d window, how does everyone else decide what goes on what layer. and how to break up your scene for work simplicity, like furniture on one, characters on another.
not really a support issue just wondering how other people that have been doing it longer than me do it.

like do you put all armatures on one layer and what not?

Hi

I’m a newbie so I did not have much experience…But have used layers from day one…I use the Layer management addon.

Use it as You do…To get a nice workspace…It’s a lot easier to work in a clean screen…:slight_smile:

And don’t get disturb by light - camera - background or whatever flying around in the scene…:slight_smile:

I start with light - camera and a background layer…Sometime it can be a little hard to get hold on 20 Layers so here I think the Layer Managemant Addon is good…I made a test with 4 camera setup and 5 different scene…Could not have done that without layer’s…:slight_smile:

Layers are very powerfull and used in many different work flow…Moddeling is just one area…Puff Puff

Tai

Just use whatever works for you. Everybody is different.

An example how I’d personally set up a scene:

1 - body meshes (2 humans)
2 - humanrig1
3 - humanrig2
4 - lighting
5 - furniture
6 - hair

All other layers are maybe for different versions of a mesh I have, I keep the important things on layers that will be easy to hotkey with shift.

If I’m animating two characters in the same scene, I can press Shift + 2 or 3 to hide either’s rig in case it’s getting in the way while in pose mode. The same goes for lighting and furniture. You don’t need to see lighting if you’re animating, and you might need to turn off furniture to see a better angle on your pose. And I generally keep hair to a separate layer simply because they’re higher polycount and only needed for the render.

I also like it this way because if I want to test render either in viewport or f12 I can remove layers instead of manually hiding them in the outliner to make it render faster. Aside from that it reduces clutter while you’re working.

You can quickly select multiple layers by pressing Shift+x (x being the layer number)… So you could do Shift+1 3 6

And don’t forget about the “/” key on your numpad which will toggle hide everything except for the current object you have selected. Though that’s for editing/viewing, if you were to render in this view it would still show all of the other selected layers in the render.

Cheers!

didnt know about the “/” key function thanks.
also i have to say thank you cause this is exactly what i was looking for. just kinda what you do and why. so i can see other ideas for me to lay it out.
i personally will usually do furniture on one layer but do my creation of it initially on a seprate layer. and move it over just so i can have a clean space to work, then bring it over to the other layer and adjust scale to the scene

on bottom header you can turn on of off layers

happy bl