Where would I find a user preferences settings reference?

Good morning everyone,

I hope your day is going well. This is my first post on this forum and, as I’m sure will be obvious momentarily, I am a new comer to Blender. I’ve recently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) on my Macbook Pro - I use a Magic Track Pad - and am using Blender 2.76. It seems that the emulate 3-button mouse user preference setting is not functioning as it did prior to upgrading the OS on my Macbook. I’ve managed to configure the Blender User Preferences > Input > 3D View > 3D View (Global) settings to regain most of the functionality I need, but I have no idea why the specific configuration changes I made work. There seems to be multiple configuration settings that are identical - at least to my noob eye - but only the some of them affect the functionality as I expected. Is there a reference of some kind available that delves into these setting in detail? Thanks so much for your time and assistance. Have a great day!

God bless,
Bill

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Basics & Interface”

There seems to be multiple configuration settings that are identical - at least to my noob eye
Such as ?

Is there a reference of some kind available that delves into these setting in detail?
The manual is the most comprehensive https://blender.org/manual/preferences/index.html